Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Emergency Rudder Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanslogic View Post
    @AlanH
    I would be interested in a foil...
    Nice looking setups..
    Let's see how many people are interested...give it until the end of next week and then I'll write back to him with an estimate of size/number

The foil/cassette that Pat has, that I built in 2008 is this one...

http://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/attach...6&d=1485218561

It's long enough @ 69 inches and it would probably work fine for my current boat but I think I want to try to build a lighter foil on a longer chord, and a spiffier 'glass, carbon and epoxy cassette. Not that the doorskin&mat cassette doesn't work, but.... I hope my old one makes the rounds and gets a couple of folks on <30 footers to Hawaii. This time I think I want a 72 inch foil, 15 inch chord.

The "swing down" solution is a pretty good one, I think, as long as the top attachment is really beef..
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-17-2017 at 01:41 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post

"The "swing down" solution is a pretty good one, I think, as long as the top attachment is really beef..
    I believe the bottom attachment is the most "loaded".

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    I believe the bottom attachment is the most "loaded".
    Oh, now I see, the top can be very loaded up until the bottom is clipped in.

A little more ghetto look. I've since lengthened the tiller by about 2 ft and put on a pin on the tiller so the autopilot can steer this.

Name:  E rudder.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  102.9 KB

I've heard back from a guy in Texas who has a CAD controlled hotwire foam cutter. He can cut high density expanded polystyrene foam foils to use in laminating e-rudders. This is heavier and stronger stuff than what Flying Foam offers, now. He makes pretty big foam model airplane wings...like BIG model airplanes so I expect that he can crank out 6 foot long foils. Not sure on price but probably somewhere between $30-50 per foil.

Is anybody interested in purchasing a foil to laminate up their own e-rudder?
    Just a thought. I looked at the foils sold by flying foam as a possible source for an e-rud blade for the 16 Tranpac, that was before Lightspeed lent me his system. In any event I wanted a longer foil than FF was offering and it seemed reasonable to use stringers to support a lengthening of the section by simply attaching two pieces end on end. The point being I don't think the max length he can cut is the max length of a rudder you could fab if you didn't mind buying two pieces of foam. The experts would know better than me, but my understanding is the foam is only there to provide form, not strength??

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Just a thought. I looked at the foils sold by flying foam as a possible source for an e-rud blade for the 16 Tranpac, that was before Lightspeed lent me his system. In any event I wanted a longer foil than FF was offering and it seemed reasonable to use stringers to support a lengthening of the section by simply attaching two pieces end on end. The point being I don't think the max length he can cut is the max length of a rudder you could fab if you didn't mind buying two pieces of foam. The experts would know better than me, but my understanding is the foam is only there to provide form, not strength??
    yes, that's true. I just always figure that every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by todd22123 View Post
    A little more ghetto look. I've since lengthened the tiller by about 2 ft and put on a pin on the tiller so the autopilot can steer this.

Name:  E rudder.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  102.9 KB
    Todd, are the upper and lower bearing surfaces in your cassette made of wood? Is there a steel bushing in there, or something? Is it plywood?

Todd, are the upper and lower bearing surfaces in your cassette made of wood? Is there a steel bushing in there, or something? Is it plywood?
    There is a 1/2" ID delrin tube glassed into the portion attached to the boat, white, and inside the leading edge of the cassette. All fiberglass, epoxy, and a little foam. A 1/2" stainless pin passes through the cassette and the piece on the boat.