Thread: Sail selection

Default Sail selection

Hi Guys, Cold and snowy out so I'm doing some armchair sailing this morning. I bought a new boat(to me). It's a Yamaha 33. The previous owner prepped it for the Pacific cup but never went for it. I'm thinking about the 2018 TransPac and looking for some input on sail selection.

All the sails are Quantum and like new condition

Main - Full battened with triple reef points, Dutchman flaking, Tides strong Track

Roller furling/reefing headsails w/UV cover and foam luff

Genoa - 135%
    Jib 100%
    Jib 75%

Roller furling Lighter Jib 100% - I was told this was for double headsail???

Tri-sail w/track on mast

Spinnakers

Asymmetrical 3/4 oz V3

Symmetrical 3/4 oz Tri radial

Spinnaker pole but No whisker pole

Thanks for taking a look!

Jeff

Well, you have the sails to meet the requirements, although technically, you don't need both a triple-reefed main and a trysail. No harm in having both except the little extra weight of the trysail.

A little light on spinnakers though. Having only two of the same weight, doesn't leave much room for error. Depends on how hard you think you'll be pushing. Are they similar sized? If so, you might find flying the asym on the pole to be the fastest option. I wonder how many SHTP'ers significantly damage at least one spinnaker on the way over. >25%?

Hard to do double headsails with only one pole. So either you'll want that second pole (a little redundancy here doesn't hurt) or accept that your options are spinnaker and wing on wing, which many people/boats find is sufficient. Thing is you could get a telescoping whisker pole that can extend out to your 135% LP which would be more effective than the shorter spinnaker pole for poling out the 135% genoa. Others might have a better number/larger sample, but from all the following I've done over the years, it seems like around 75% of SHTP'ers end up poling out a headsail at least some of the time.

You didn't mention the autopilot or wind vane, because you were talking about sails, but what autopilot you have may be a key determinant in how much you are flying the spinnaker. Some autopilots can handle anything, some only the fairest of weather to keep a spinnaker flying.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Shearwater Thanks for your thoughts. The asymmetrical is slightly smaller then the other spinnaker...I was thinking I need a couple of more spin options. Tiller steering with a below deck auto pilot. I also have a monitor wind vane.

Wishlist so far,

Whisker pole
    1.5 oz spinnaker
    Blast reacher

I was going to mention blast reacher, but wasn't sure if you were "racing" or out to have an "adventure". Since you mention it, then it suggests you are "racing" and then, yes the blast reacher could be a nice addition. It depends on your 135%. Is it a deck sweeper? If yes, then the BR is more helpful. It seems there are two main attributes of a BR. Ideally, the shape is made more for reaching than the genoa, but more practically, the clew is higher which makes the sheeting angle better for reaching and gets the sail up and over the lifelines. Regardless, make sure you have a way to sheet to the rail.

I'm not up on my Yamaha 33 sail plans, but is a 150% headsail ever used? It's almost semantics, but you should think long and hard about whether you would want a blast reacher or a larger jib top. Pretty sure your rating doesn't change whether your largest headsail is 135% or 150%. You only get credit if it is 125% or smaller.

Perhaps another sail that might be equally as valuable as a BR would be a Code 0. That might fill the gap between the genoa and the spinnaker better than a BR or jib top. Of course, having both, or even all 3 is ideal, but in the real world, you'd likely never need all 3 in the same race. One year you might want one another year a different sail to fill the gap. Probably depends on your boat and what it likes. Having a jib top and/or Code 0 then just furling the 135% genoa slightly for blast reaching could be an economical route of high versatility.

As an example, in a windy year racing double-handed on a much lighter boat where a #3 is the big upwind sail, we went #3, #4, (should have gone to the storm jib), jib top, code 0, A4. That was all in the first 3 days.

In a un-windy year double-handed on a similar displacement/length boat as yours we went 125% genoa which worked fine as a BR, but a jib top would have been better, (should have brought the 150% or a jib top and taken the 3 second hit), Code 0, A4, A2.

All that said, you'll be flying or trying to fly a spinnaker for 50-75% of the race. You might fly a BR, JT, or C0 for a day or two at the most. Make sure you are set for running, before you worry about the details of reaching.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Quote Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
    I'm not up on my Yamaha 33 sail plans, but is a 150% headsail ever used? It's almost semantics, but you should think long and hard about whether you would want a blast reacher or a larger jib top. Pretty sure your rating doesn't change whether your largest headsail is 135% or 150%. You only get credit if it is 125% or smaller.
    Now that you mention it I'm thinking a jib top would be the way to go.

Wishlist so far,

Whisker pole
    1.5 oz spinnaker
    Jib top

+1 for the heavy spinnaker. Even if it is a light year you may still get some use out of it....and you will almost certainly spend some time on your side with the kite flogging....you really want something that will hold up.

Spend a LOT of time making sure your main reefs easily...in the winds you need it to..close reaching, beam and off the wind. Make sure the Dutchman system is up to the task. You will reef, and if you system works well you will reef early (safe and comfortable) and shake it out right away (fast).

With your set up I would not spend lots of time sweating the asym. Get dialed in for sailing deep.

Chris (Ventus)

I am a long time aficionado of at least one 155% genoa of tri radial nylon construction. 3/4oz of for my 30 footer, perhaps heavier for yours. Buy a spare pole. Light air sails are usually VERY important at some stage in the SHTP!