Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olson911s "Elusive"

Default Olson911s "Elusive"

Any information about history, condition, sailing attributes, successes and not-so-much success of the good ship Elusive against other boats is greatly appreciated.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Olson 911s a very good small racer cruiser. Sails well to its rating. There have been a few that did multiple Hawaii races. Ash Perrin and her brother won the Around Great Britain (?) race in one, probably over 10 years ago. They are getting up in years so get a good survey of whatever hull you are looking at.

Elusive has been quite competitive in the SF Bay 30 fleet, as I recall. If you're unfamiliar with the fleet, it's a group that includes a few 911s plus the odd Tartan 10, J/30, J/29, Laser 28, Capo 30, and occasionally my Martin 32. The class is struggling a bit to keep numbers up and recently started to admit asymmetricals e.g. J/32. There's a Yahoo group for the class - sf30s - in case you want to ask more questions. I think the current owner of Elusive is in the Yahoo group, if that makes a difference to you.
    Max

Thank you. This one is a Pacific Boat Works build so is also a cored hull. So I will need a very top notch Bay Area surveyor to check for problems in the hull, plus the rest of the boat given her age and use as a racer. These boats seem perfect for our winds in here Hawaii if I cannot get a Pogo 30 for the same price (Ha Ha If wishes were horses, beggars . . . .) So any recommendations on surveyors would also be appreciated as I have not been a Bay Area boater since the mid-1990s.

Thanks Max. I'll check with him and check out the fleet as I am not familiar with it. Owner is a San Rafael architect - sounds like a good knowledgeable owner.

Yep - good guy. Charlie raced a Tartan 10 before the 911S.

I would expect a Pogo 30 to cost 5X what a 911s goes for. If Elusive is for public sale I can't find it on Yachtworld or Latitude.

Elusive is in the classifieds on that godforsaken website.

Ho boy. Sit down for this. Pogo 8.5s are 80K to 135k or so. 30s are 120K to 180K (more than 5Xs) and a new 30 gets you close to or over $200k, especially with a lifting keel, and an almost 2 year wait - hence the beggars would ride comment.
    As I said in another post I wish I could afford the gorgeous Wylie Lightspeed. But no. Four of us delivered the Wylie War Spite to Honolulu back in '93. Tom built/builds beautiful fast rides. Take care.