Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSS Changes in 2017

Default SSS Changes in 2017

Have you sold your boat? Bought a new one? Added Bling? Made changes? Here's what I know:

Bob J is going to doublehand this season. With whom? Dunno
    David Nabors has sold Temerity so will need a new ride.
    Nathalie has sold Elise (along with the frog spinnaker) to (your best guess here )
    Nathalie has purchased a Figaro !!!!!! which is on its way here from somewhere else (your best guess here)
    Rob MacFarlane is leaving Grand Marina for Polynesia soon

Iniscaw is moving to Oceanside and I'm moving to Borrego Springs, sometime after the Three Bridge. We'll probably be signing up with PSSA.

After promises, curses, more promises, moving all around the bluidy Bay, and delay, The Wildcat of Loch Awe will make her first appearrance with the SSS in the Doublehanded 160-mumble PHRF division in the 3BF.

EDIT: I just registered for my first SSS season since 2008. *shock*
    Last edited by AlanH; 12-26-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Where is DURA MATER moving to? I joke that I've been kicked out of most of the marinas in the East Bay - it appears DM may be out to break my record.

I've had boats at Alameda Marina (wet and dry), Aeolian YC, Alameda Yacht Harbor (now Fortman's), Marina Village (3X), Nelson's, Berkeley Marina, Richmond Marina Bay, Richmond YC (now), Vallejo YC and Benicia (2X). And actually I've never been kicked out - I've always enjoyed the changes of venue and new places to sail.

We have a large (and growing) SSS contingent at Richmond YC. It's a lot of fun and I don't see myself moving anywhere else (unless it's to retire and go cruising).

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    We have a large (and growing) SSS contingent at Richmond YC.
    Don't mean to hijack the thread ... but any members in any of the Redwood City marinas?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Where is DURA MATER moving to?
    The Richmond Yacht Harbor is indeed a pleasant place to be, especially if you are a member of the SSS. It is SSS Central.

Why would Dura Mater leave the Grand Marina? It is warm and nicely maintained, with clean restrooms and showers. And there is Moseley’s coffee house/sandwich shop just below the harbormaster. That’s a nice amenity. Even after this past week, with its big rain, Dura Mater’s dehumidifier was only half full. It’s so much less damp in the Estuary, and usually a tshirt suffices.

But in Berkeley!
    It is so damp that the cockpit needs to be mopped up every morning, even in the summer. DM’s dehumidifier fills up every other day, even in the summer. Sweatshirts are de rigueur because it’s almost always cold, even in the summer. Seabreeze is the only place for food, and it’s a long bike ride away. Skippers on the commercial fishing boats play chicken with me as we approach the entrance at the same time, pretending that they want to run up my stern. The fuel dock at the Berkeley Marine Center is always out of diesel when I need it.

Those dragon boats are everywhere when I least expect them, and people sail small remote sailboats in the fairway from the rocks. Seriously? Does DM on starboard tack have right of way over a port tacking sailboat with a three foot high mast?

There seem to always be groups of little children laying on their stomachs all along the ramp and on the Berkeley Yacht Club guest dock, peeking down into the water. Pesky things.

But then again. Sailboats in Berkeley Marina seem to be a popular destination for AirBnB, which means that there is a regular stream of interesting people to watch, lots of foreigners, happy to be spending the night on a sailboat.There’s the taco truck at the end of Gilman Street, just a short car drive away. Delicious steak tacos for $1.75/ each and ice cold Mexican cokes. Worth the wait along with all the construction workers and kids taking a break from playing soccer in the nearby fields.

There’s no current on the Olympic Circle, even in the absence of an Olympic Circle, which means that DM can usually move in even the lightest of air. I can raise DM's sails at the slip, and then, after the briefest bit of motoring, only eight boats' worth, I can kill the engine and sail out of the marina.

And the wind. There is always wind. That makes all the difference.

Philpott,
    I saw Dura Mater when I dropped my sails off at Marchal a couple weeks ago. She looked warm and happy.
    Grand Marina is a nice place and it caters to sailing...canvas, sail makers, chandlery. It's all right there. I envy you folks.
    Pardon the thread drift, but I will continue. Does anyone need a crew hand for any upcoming races or just a day sail? I'll be in the area January to pick up my sails and can make myself available. You might regret it but I'll make it memorable I seriously would enjoy meeting some of you and learn something new. PM me with dates, time and place. Thanks

Reading between the lines, DURA MATER saw a drop-off in her AirBnB bookings and had to move back to the lucrative Berkeley market.

Gotta pay for those monogrammed fender covers somehow:

DM Stylin!
    Last edited by BobJ; 12-28-2016 at 10:12 AM.

I just spent three weeks at the end of L Dock in Berkeley Marina. I had the mast out at the Marine Center. I thought it was great!! So great that I spent a lot more time than I should have. I was planning on a single long weekend of work, so much for planning. I think I extended my temp stay four times before I finished my dang mast.

I'm at Coyote Point.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"