Thread: Safety at Sea course offered, 12 Feb 2017 at BYC

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Default Safety at Sea course offered, 12 Feb 2017 at BYC

From the YRA — this course will satisfy the SSS requirements for SAS training for doing the Half Moon Bay and Drake’s Bay races.

The OYRA is pleased to announce they are hosting an 8 hour, US Sailing Sanctioned Offshore Safety at Sea Course on February 12th at Berkeley Yacht Club!

This US Sailing Sanctioned Offshore Safety at Sea Course will be Moderated and taught by Chuck Hawley. The registration fee is $150 and includes lunch. You can register electronically HERE.

US Sailing Sanctioned Offshore Safety at Sea Courses are designed for sailors of all types and levels — cruisers and racers, novices and experts. The course is appropriate for a wide range of boats — small, big, monohulls, multihulls (and powerboats, too) — that are sailed anywhere — near shore and offshore. The curriculum is certified by US Sailing, with special attention to the conditions and challenges of our sailing area. The certification from this course is good for five years.

Unsure of whether or not you need to get an offshore certification for a Bay Area ocean race? You can get more info on the different course options, what courses are being offered locally, and which certifications the different ocean races require by checking out our Safety At Sea Courses page.

Ready to register for our February 12th Course? CLICK HERE!

Have questions about the February 12th course? Contact the YRA Office at info@yra.org.

Class Start: 0830 sharp
    Class Finish: 1730 (approx)
    Last edited by pogen; 01-20-2017 at 03:46 PM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

OK, I attended this class, which was quite good except that I know 90% already from attending so many other classes and seminars over the years, plus what I learned prepping for several ocean races.

The big news was that all the Hawaii races (PacCup, TransPac, plus Cabo?) are going to start requiring the 2 Day class in the next year or so, usually for 30% of crew. I took the 2 day class about 4.5 years ago, and it is certainly better to get the hands on component. But it means that the one day credential is only good for short range coastal stuff like OYRA, and maybe the California Offshore Race Week events.

I'm pretty sure that the SSS will not be going along with this increase of requirements. A lot of the course material does not really apply to singlehanding, though it is good stuff to know in general.

I did the two-day last July. Yes, plenty of crew-related stuff that doesn't apply to single handing, but still good to know. And, out of the hands-on stuff on day two, all but one of the segments was very applicable -- the exception, of course, MOB retrieval. And, as the current discussion on the PLB thread points out, there is great value in the in-water drill: wearing boots, foulies, PDF, assorted gear, jumping in the water, dealing with the situation that presents, then righting an overturned life raft and climbing in. Yes, it will be very different to do this in the wild, but doing it in the controlled setting is the only way you can be at all prepared for it. Do the two-day if you can afford the time and expense, even if its not required for your race.

I did the 2 day course last weekend in Vancouver WA. The in the water drill was the best part.

+1 Nothing beats the learning experience of being in cold water/ swimming in your follies/ trying to climb into a liferaft /and better yet, righting an overturned raft after you've been in the water for a while. My conclusion: avoid that condition at all cost.
    February in Vancouver, WA... was that in a pool or what? What was the temp?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    +1 Nothing beats the learning experience of being in cold water/ swimming in your follies/ trying to climb into a liferaft /and better yet, righting an overturned raft after you've been in the water for a while. My conclusion: avoid that condition at all cost.
    February in Vancouver, WA... was that in a pool or what? What was the temp?

It was in a pool. Quite warm. Haha.