Thread: Three Bridge Fiasco 2017 -- Alameda Marina hoist out of service

Default Three Bridge Fiasco 2017 -- Alameda Marina hoist out of service

Read if you are an Alameda Marina dry dock tenant.

I just returned from the marina where I spoke with Cathy from the harbormaster office. She informed me that all this hoist are broken and not expected to be serviceable for a couple of weeks. That means that if your boat is on the dry, you will not be able to drop for the race. I've made her aware of the impact, particularly for next weeks TBF race.

She was trying to come up with solutions and I recommended to her they do the following, as that is a service we pay for:
    1. They could hire a movable crane for the weekend and drop and pick up people's boat
    2. Even better, have Svends boat yard drop the boats for us with their lifts.

If you are a tenant impacted by this, I will ask that you call the harbormaster office and let them know your need to drop and raise your boat next weekend. It might require that we drop boats on Friday and pick up Monday, so do plan additional logistics.

But please do call the harbor master. Cathy was trying to identify boats and communicate with the owners, but now you know.

Also, SSS board, you might be able through jibeset to search registrants that have their boats in Alameda Marina and let them know of the situation.

I hope they do good for their tenants.

Cheers,

dan

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Thanks Dan,

I just spoke with Kathi myself. We will have some email communication to the registered racers.

Getting them to hire a big crane seems reasonable to me -- not sure if they will really go for it. Vocal tenant lobbying would seem like a good idea. After all, it's an important race and there are probably a couple dozen boats needing the service.

Stay tuned here.

From Kathi

Hello again,

Just received a phone call from George Lythcott, a racer in the 3 Bridge Fiasco Race, who has secured a lift at Svensens BoatYard to use the day of the race.

He is asking for any racers at the Alameda Marina who need a hoist to launch their boats, to please email him directly at glythco@yahoo.com. The cost will be split between all those using it.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter,

Kathi Fournier

Alameda Marina

Quote Originally Posted by Travieso View Post
    Read if you are an Alameda Marina dry dock tenant.

I just returned from the marina where I spoke with Cathy from the harbormaster office. She informed me that all this hoist are broken and not expected to be serviceable for a couple of weeks. That means that if your boat is on the dry, you will not be able to drop for the race. I've made her aware of the impact, particularly for next weeks TBF race.

She was trying to come up with solutions and I recommended to her they do the following, as that is a service we pay for:
    1. They could hire a movable crane for the weekend and drop and pick up people's boat
    2. Even better, have Svends boat yard drop the boats for us with their lifts.

If you are a tenant impacted by this, I will ask that you call the harbormaster office and let them know your need to drop and raise your boat next weekend. It might require that we drop boats on Friday and pick up Monday, so do plan additional logistics.

But please do call the harbor master. Cathy was trying to identify boats and communicate with the owners, but now you know.

Also, SSS board, you might be able through jibeset to search registrants that have their boats in Alameda Marina and let them know of the situation.

I hope they do good for their tenants.

Cheers,

dan
    Social media worked. Congratulations to all. Including city hall.

This just in

Date: January 24, 2017 at 2:41:23 PM PST
    Subject: Mobile Crane Schedule At Alameda Marina

To all involved in the Three Bridge Fiasco race,

Please pass this message along to any tenant you think may be interested.

To facilitate getting boats into the water for this race, Alameda Marina has arranged for a mobile crane and operator. There will be no charge for this service.

The crane will be located near the 3-ton hoist (currently out of service) in the east lot.

The crane will go into operation on Friday, 1/27/2017, starting at 4:00 PM and will put boats in the water until 8:00 P.M.

Then, on Sunday, 1/29/2017, the crane will be in operation from 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM, taking boats out of the water.

Overnight stays on the guest dock will be free for all racers. In addition, the end tie areas at the end of Dock 4, 8, and 9 are available for boats to tie up to.

You may also call the harbormaster's office and reserve a guest slip for the weekend. There will be no charge this weekend only.

If you intend to make use of the crane, we would appreciate a reply to this message so that we may get an approximate count of boats.

Also, please include the displacement of your boat, especially if it is more than 4,000 lbs.

Thank you for your patience, and we hope you have a very enjoyable race experience!

Paul Houtz
    Harbormaster
    Alameda Marina

Careful exiting the estuary: Here is a birdie riding the backseat of a '57 Chevy truck
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh Jackie...that's my new wave-piercing trimaran.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

My letter to the Alameda Sun about the hoist issue printed in the hard copy of the newspaper today. I'm a bit frustrated. The Alameda Sun website through which you submit letters to the editor has an "edit your content" feature. As the developments have come out this week regarding the Alameda Marina and the rented crane, I've gone back and edited my letter. The last edit, which credits the Marina for stepping up with the rented crane, didn't make the print version. That last edit also has a pointer to the Latitude 38 article.

I've written a note to the editor of the Alameda Sun on their e-mail submission page. This is what I wrote to them.

=========

I'm disappointed that you all did not print a later update of my letter to the editor in this weeks print edition. You should know, and it's included in my current update, that the Alameda Marina is providing a crane for tenants for the upcoming weekend at no charge. The ongoing issue of maintenance is still relevant, but the Marina did step up for the upcoming weekend. Of course, it took prodding; a phone call or two from City Hall to get them to do it, but in the end they did come through. It would be fair to the Marina Harbormasters Office to print an update which says this. I would appreciate it if when that's done, that you credit me for letting you know about it.

Lastly, in the print article you finish my letter by writing that I'm a boater who lives in Alameda. That's not a true statement. I have kept boats in Alameda, I'm a regular boating-activity-related visitor to Alameda and I really like Alameda and the Alameda Marina but I actually live elsewhere in the Bay Area.

================

I may have strong opinions and I may write them strongly, but I also believe in being fair. I really think that next week, the Sun should print an update, and I would really appreciate getting a little credit for pointing out to them that the crane was in operation.

Assuming of course, that the thing actually shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    My letter to the Alameda Sun about the hoist issue printed in the hard copy of the newspaper today. ......... for pointing out to them that the crane was in operation.

Assuming of course, that the thing actually shows up.
    Was the promised crane actually on-site and functional for the 3BF? I didn't see TAZ! on the race course, but sure saw a lot of other E27's.