Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm Sails

Default Storm Sails

Looking at the storm sails requirements from 2016 RRC (Section 4.52). Boat came to me with a storm trysail and dedicated track for same on the mast, so we're good on Part A. Part B, the head sail, is my present quandary.

I have an 85% jib that should fill the requirement, but I'm not sure I want to go to sea with that as my storm jib: it mounts by feeding up the luff groove on the roller furler. Don't think I'd want to be dropping the genoa and trying to hoist that in deteriorating conditions.

Has anyone used the "Gale sail" from ATN? Other suggestion?

I have ATN's Gale Sail. I also have a roller-furler. The main reason I bought the Gale Sail was to be able to clip it over the furled jib as you suggest, so I don't have to remove the jib first in storm conditions. You need a second halyard on the front of the mast (I have a second jib halyard but a fractional spinnaker halyard might work). I leave a set of sheets attached to the Gale Sail so it's ready to use. Other than determining your sheeting leads there's not much else to do.

I've hoisted the Gale Sail several times for inspections but haven't needed to sail with it (yet).

A storm headsail is not that much $$ if you get a presized one. Normally I don't recommend links to sailmakers other than our local folks, but for a storm sail, might as well grab one of these.

http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/...stormsails.htm

The reason I've never been keen on the Gale Sail is that honestly, I don't think I want a furled sail up at all if it gets to the point where I need a storm headsail. However, that's just me and my uninformed opinion, seeing as I have very little experience with roller furling sails.

I used one on the 2004 SHTP when we sailed out into 35-40 knots and pretty big seas. I discovered that my Santana 3030 wouldn't lie ahull with two reefs in and a storm headsail. The double-reefed main overpowered the headsail.
    Last edited by AlanH; 02-15-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I bought my storm jib and Tri from The Sail Warehouse. I am happy with the quality of the sails, they were also reasonably priced. I believe they keep many sails in stock so if you wanted to drive to Monterey you could check them out before you buy. I used the storm jib the last two days of the Transpac after the dregs of Celia shredded my camberspar jib. Was a great, albeit very small, sail. Delivery crew used it in gale alley on the way back too. Set up the tri prior to the race but never used it. Pineapple built me a new jib after the race.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 02-15-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks for the feed back, guys. I checked my measurements, and my storm jib is actually 80%, not 85%, so that's just fine. I'm pretty sure I'd be legal in the SHTP with that and my trysail on board. I should probably just try dropping the genny and hoisting the storm jib in stiff but not too nasty conditions before giving up on it. It would be the no cost option if I got a comfort level with that procedure.

Other option, which might be cheaper than the Gale Sail, would be to add a Solent stay: a stay attached to the mast just below the fore stay, to an attachment point on the fore deck, just aft of the furling drum, which can be detached from there and stowed at the base of the mast when not in use. Then have the sail maker replace the luff tape on the storm jib with hanks. I could then hoist the storm jib with the regular head sail still rolled up on the fore stay.

I'd be interested if anyone has seen or used such a set up.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    I'd be interested if anyone has seen or used such a set up.
    Yep, but it was a significant project. Picking up a Gale Sail would be easier and cheaper. They come up second-hand now and then, usually unused.

Name:  No4onSolentStay.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  211.6 KB

Name:  DeckPadEyeBacking.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  203.1 KBName:  PadEyeForSolent.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  150.8 KBName:  SolentSet2.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  168.5 KBName:  SolentTackDetail.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  177.6 KB

Bob,
    Are you using a second halyard as the stay? Or is that a dedicated dynema solent stay?

I have a track and ring on the foredeck I planned to use for this application.
    I have two small, sub 80%, jibs with wire luffs. I thought I could hoist one free standing, but with a stay would be much more manageable.

Nice Bob. How did you handle the halyard and stay on the mast?

On our Valiant 32 we had a cutter stay, so further aft than a solent stay. The padeye was thru-bolted in the middle of the foredeck. No toggle underneath. Me thinks the V32 layup, might be just a touch thicker than the J/92. Just a touch...
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28

Oh, and all of this discussion is why a lot boats just run hanked on headsails on the forestay... Take one off, put one on. No fuss, no accessories, no extra halyards, no extra stays, lighter, etc...

Pretty sure the Saga 43 Na Na, which came from the factory with two roller furlers on the bow for jib and genoa ended up with hanked on sails for SHTP.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Bermuda 1-2 on a Schumacher 28