Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Communications Plan

Default Communications Plan

Continuing my study of the 2016 race documents, and coming up with random stupid questions. The documents talk about a Communications Vessel, but don't shed any light on who that is. Is that duty taken on by one of the racers? Or is there someone not racing who is sailing along with the fleet for that purpose? Or is that something that varies year to year?

Just curious for no real reason.

I imagine that refers to the Race committee.

In SHTP2016 one of the race boats served as the Communications Vessel.

Correct; as best I recall, it's always been one of the racers, usually a bigger boat with a good SSB setup and enough comfort to do the job. In my year 2010 it was Dream Chaser.

Is the Iridium Yellow Brick acceptable for position check in? Seems like a good option as it can transmit short message and position on an hourly (or more frequent) basis to any email address.
    Thank you
    Dave

Go to the 2016 SHTP site and look for "Race Documents". One of them is entitled "Communications Plan", and it spells out the requirements for a daily check in with a manual activation of the DeLorme satellite tracker each racer was required to carry. Manual activation, rather than automatic, is required "as a sign of life aboard." I don't know if the 2018 race will require the same equipment, but it seems logical that they will want everyone on the same system to facilitate posting everyone's position on the tracking page during the race.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Hi AZ Sailor,
    I understand the logic of a manual check-in, I guess having an Iridium just for tracking couldn't hurt anything.
    Thank you

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Delorme was selected for the race tracker (so people could follow at home) and also for sign-of-life check-in as described above. Some racers already owned them; they are fairly affordable. The rest got a group rental rate for the race or race + return.

Pretty much all races use committee provided or specified trackers.

Thank you, I see that Delorme is now part of Garmin so easy to find and purchase.
    Best regards,
    Dave

For the SHTP2016, racers were required to rent the race-specific tracker even if they already had their own personal tracker. The race specific tracker interfaced with the race tracking web page, satisfied the race requirements, was set up for ultra-low power useage and lasted the entire passage without recharging.