Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Communications Plan

The Communications Plan lists the SSB frequencies to be used during the race. Most of these frequencies will have been pre-programed somewhere in the user-programmable channels. However, the channel numbers assigned to these frequencies will vary. On my ICOM M710, for example, the 4 mHz band USCG emergency frequency* is found at Ch. 18, and is called “4 SAFTY”. On the ICOM 802, however, that frequency is set by the factory as Channel 2, and is labeled “4 SOS”, or something like that, I think. I made up a quick reference card to post on the SSB, with where the channels are found on my radio, and what the display will now show as the names of those channels.

Name:  Channel guide.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  1.61 MB

Your channel number and channel names will likely be different, but you get the idea. Reprograming channels is not hard, just a little tedious. The instructions from ICOM are pretty easy to follow. These are 'simplex' channels, so remember to change both the RX and TX frequencies to the same listed frequency. You can print out this template and fill in the first and last columns with your radio's info. Tepmlate for Race SSB Channels.pdf

*BTW: the CG emergency frequency in the 4 mHz band is 4.125, and NOT 4.025 as stated in the 2017-12-13 version of the Communications Plan.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Default Revised Comm Plan 5-19-18: Attached is the latest comm plan.

The updated comm plan is attached.

Questions, concerns, misspellings, logical incongruities, and legal or moral complications can all be discussed here. You can also access this doc on jibeset, and additionally it was emailed to all participants.

Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    The updated comm plan is attached.

Questions, concerns, misspellings, logical incongruities, and legal or moral complications can all be discussed here.
    Nice! On first read through, primary changes from the prior doc seem to be (1) correcting the 4 mHz band GC frequency; (2) adding the 6 and 8 mHz band CG frequencies; and (3) formally identifying Mounton Noire as comm's vessel. Thanks, Michael, for shouldering this duty again. Much appreciated.

Perhaps sometime on Thursday or Friday before the race we could have a time designated for testing DCS calls to RC's MMSI.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Default Test of tracking and check in method

Yes, on the test Lee. I would suggest we do this soon, from our distant locations, at home, in cars. Etc.

We could pick a 24 hour period where everyone turns on their devices, places them in track mode, does a few checkins from Westmarine, Macy's, REI, Pt Lobos, Pt Bonita, or Bev Mo, wherever one may be during the test period. I could set up the test period with Jibeset and a map would be produced of the check ins.

Regards,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Nice! On first read through, primary changes from the prior doc seem to be (1) correcting the 4 mHz band GC frequency; (2) adding the 6 and 8 mHz band CG frequencies; and (3) formally identifying Mounton Noire as comm's vessel. Thanks, Michael, for shouldering this duty again. Much appreciated.

Perhaps sometime on Thursday or Friday before the race we could have a time designated for testing DCS calls to RC's MMSI.

I couldn't find a place to provide my sat email address. I put it into the "Other" field, below the sat phone # field. Should I put it somewhere else?

And just to be clear ... because the plan says to check in "in the morning" ... the check in window is 1PM PDT to 1AM PDT, right? I can see how it's morning in HI ... and maybe I should adopt HI time ... but I may go slow then ...

there is a typo in the e-mail address for the RC in the "key points of contact" table. It is correctly represented (I think) in the following prose. No biggie but perhaps a bit confusing.

Is the e-mail address for the race committee "tranpacific@sfbaysss" or "transpac@sfbaysss" (or both)?

The official email address is transpacific@sfbaysss.org

Note the insertion of the S... not tranpacific ; tranSpacific.

technically transpac still functions, but only as a legacy backup.

Ok - to lessen confusion about which email address does what, here is a concise list:

transpacific@sfbaysss.org = general communication with the race committee -

tracking@sfbaysss.org = proof-of-life daily checkin's - this will be monitored by the RC for daily check in messages

racereporting@sfbaysss.org - submissions for posting to the website and other media - this is monitored by the "media team" who will edit anything extraneous (including inadvertent sailmail addresses and headers) and then post.

Comm Plan Test Day, Sunday June 10th. 1500 PDT, 2200 GMT, 1200 HST. We will conduct a test of the tracking system and the check in system. We would like to have everyone turn on their satellite tracker, engage it to ping automatically its location, once every 30 min, and then send a few check in messages to the locations specified in the Comm Plan. A dial up number has been established for discussion of issues anyone might be having. The dial up is: (see email from Jibeset) Guest Code: (see email from Jibeset) THis is a conference call number.

Hope to hear you all on.

Those using SSB might want to establish a call in frequency at the same time. I would suggest use of the 4 mHz frequency in the Comm plan .

Brian