Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Qualifying Cruise

Lee, For what it's worth, here is a screen shot of my qualifying cruise in March 2016. Left at 1300, March 18 and finished March 21st at 2000, 456 NM. The three day run was 422 miles, shortly after which I was boarded by the Coast Guard at mile 430. First time ever....WTF? My turn around point was 31 deg 17 min by 120 deg 37 min, 170 NM due west or 190 NM offshore depending on your definition. Then a nice beam reach back around San Clemente and a couple of good spinnaker legs home. I had nice wind most of the time, unlike a 4-1/2 day qualifier I did in July the previous year. Hope you have a great experience.

Bill Meanley
    Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37
    San Diego
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
    Looking good Lee. I'm getting ready to to the same trip, although likely in June. I am out of San Pedro.
    My SSB is down at the moment, or I would be happy to check you in.
    Thanks, Jake. Keep us posted on your qualifier.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinbill View Post
    Lee, For what it's worth, here is a screen shot of my qualifying cruise in March 2016.
    Nice! Looks like that was a great sail. You've got a longer waterline than I do, but still, 456 in three+ days seems pretty impressive. Thanks for weighing in.

I'll see how things look Friday, and might do something more like your track than the route posted at the start of this thread.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by dolfinbill View Post
    Lee, For what it's worth, here is a screen shot of my qualifying cruise in March 2016.
    Nice! Looks like that was a great sail. You've got a longer waterline than I do, but still, 456 in three+ days seems pretty impressive. Thanks for weighing in.

I'll see how things look Friday, and might do something more like your track than the route posted at the start of this thread.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    And remember, we love movies! Like this one from the Transpac 2016, only maybe not so scary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40T_Ji5RD8Q

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sailor View Post
    Thanks, Jake. Keep us posted on your qualifier.
    I wish I was doing it now, but still some more outfit time to make it happen. Hope I don't have too light of wind in June.
    My tentative course is similar to Bill's.
    Looking forward to your progress.

Well, I decided this was not the time for mine, either. By the afternoon update of the forecast, this is what I was seeing for where I'd likely be by Monday night, somewhere off San Clemente Island:

.MON NIGHT...WIND NW 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO 30 KT. WIND WAVES 6 FT. SWELL W 9 TO 12 FT.

So just got in a good day's sailing today, and wait for a better window.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

With next week off from real life, and hoping to take another stab at my qualifier, I've been watching the forecasts for the waters off San Diego. The National Weather Service and the Gribs from Saildocs rely on the GFS model, while Windytv.com defaults to ECMWF. Right now there is quite a divergence between the two models. For example, for 13:00 PST on 12/26, GFS has wind at 7 kts near shore, building to 9 kts by 50 nm out. ECMWF, on the other hand, says you'll need to be more than 100 nm off shore to have anything more than 1 kt at that time.

Hard to say what to make of this. We'll see what the forecast says by Monday, and take it from there.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Hi Mike,
    Another weather model I like is Passageweather.com. It also uses the GFS model as well as NAM and the graphics are easy for someone like me to interpret. If you haven't already done so, take a look. Unfortunately it does show the potential for some light winds next week.

Bill
    sv Dolfin

Cold time of year to do it. I have been thinking about going out, but am still worried about the Santanas which seem to keep coming.