I own Island Planet Sails and with many of our clients spread around the globe we don't visit all the boats or clients. I spend some time in the Bay Area and other west coast ports so I can do the traditional method of measuring the rig and getting out for a sea trial after. I've taken a cafeteria approach to the business where people who want or need full service pay more. The sailors who are self reliant save money and learn a lot in the process. Many of our clients are distance cruisers and my advice to them is to get comfortable doing simple tasks like pulling a tape measure up with a halyard and measuring to various points. We have a video that takes them through the process and as much phone/email support as required. If they can't handle the relatively simple task of measuring the rig, they probably won't be too successful cruising in third world countries.

There's tremendous value in the on the water coaching you get from someone like Dave Hodges. The sailor that trims better and has solid tactics is usually the one that wins. I'm always amazed at how little people spend on education/coaching in contrast to everything else on the boat. You see a lot of boats fitted out with the best of everything at the back of the pack and it's just a lack of education IMHO.

I've referred people to Dominic for service work so a big plus one for him. Since he's the only guy doing the work there, the quality is very consistent. With other lofts, results vary depending on who does the actual work.