Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corinthian RC View

Name:  Chead 002.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  468.3 KB

Mr. Nash made a very prescient comment at the skippers meeting "it's all ebb"...

What he failed to mention is the whirlpool of Homeric proportions which existed at the northeast end of Angel island on approach to Racoon strait. I was feeling pretty good until I entered the Gyre and watched helplessly as Galaxsea and many others literally sailed off into the sunset. Stupidly I continued to battle it out vice heading around Angel like the actually smart people did.

At least I can console myself with the T shirt. It better be a nice one.

And Dura Mater... Slacker? OK, your on for round the rocks. :-)
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 03-28-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Here are the tracks of Kynntana and Nightmare (ignore the others who were not in the race): http://raceqs.com/tv-beta/tv.htm#use...&boat=Kynntana. My lessons learned: don't ever ever again sail into the wind hole on the north side of Alcatraz, don't ever ever again discount the benefits of the current near Angel Island while heading toward Southhampton Shoal, don't ever ever again sail into that wind hole near Corinthian. I'm a slow learner so public shaming might be the way to remember next time....

Seriously, I LOVE this race. The race committee was just full of awesomeness. Kristen is a gem on the radio and I love how quick Rick is to address grips from the peanut gallery. My truly one gripe is that there's some nastiness out there from non-SSSers. I heard it from one boat in particular this time, but have seen it other times. We should remind skippers (and in the SIs, perhaps) that this is a singlehand and shorthand group who are doing their best, and some of them might even be relatively new to this. We should also try to convey this to everyone who races with us to make sure that everyone's experience is a pleasant one!!!
    ha ha ha, I have a list of fifty or so lessons I need to learn. I think I am on number 2 or 3 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    And Dura Mater... Slacker? OK, your on for round the rocks. :-)
    Bring it on, Sailor Boy!

That was a fun / frustrating race.
    Absolutely beautiful day

Many thanks to our race committee !!!
    They were short handed and pulled it off in fine order!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    A highlight for me was the little wave I got from Lyndon Bailey as we passed AKULA. Sitting back in the stern, Lyndon was using his weight to promote planing on their J/105

AKULA passed back in front of us before long and they ended up beating us.

Attachment 2248

Looks like nap-time for the little guy. I'll have to have a word with him about leaving the kite bag on the lifelines like that, not to mention snoozing while dad puts all the effort in trying to keep Bob off our breeze. Hopefully we'll be going down to third place with trophies in our bracket - I'd like to send him to pick up whatever it is on April 12. I like sailing with my boys and there are a lot of fun distractions out there for kids (sports, video games and in a few years, girls) - a little positive feedback goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    A highlight for me was the little wave I got from Lyndon Bailey as we passed AKULA. Sitting back in the stern, Lyndon was using his weight to promote planing on their J/105

AKULA passed back in front of us before long and they ended up beating us.
    I think that the major reason we passed you was you made an early lay line call to Southampton and we delayed the turn to the point where we felt quite overstood. I felt like I wanted to be past the red channel markers into shallow water to reduce the head-on ebb effect and I also expected the wind to drop as we headed up the bay so we would want to heat up the angle as we approached the turn. We were lucky and nailed it, whereas I think you spent some time working North in the stronger ebb before bailing out and turning back East. With 20/20 hindsight I'm happy with the decision and I have a fancy justification for it now, but I don't think that the choice was so clear at the time.

You and Hank played that right. We should have waited to gybe until we were out of the deep water channel. Also, I remarked to Dave that because you were doing all the sail handling you probably wanted to minimize your gybes.

Gybing early there cost us but as many have posted, the return to the finish cost far more. It appeared you played the finish more like Hank did. Dark blue boats gotta stick together - had we stayed with you guys we would have done much better. I always enjoy seeing you out there.

Rags is ready for Round the Rocks - I just needed more data:

Name:  Ready for RRR.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  69.7 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-31-2017 at 08:07 AM.

I have two goals for racing. Don't hit anything and don't be last. So far I am meeting my goals. I had a really frustrating start. I was last over the line then dropped in a hole just past Belvedere. Arggg! But we made up some ground later. It was an awesome day.

Chris
    Puffin
    Alden 44