Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corinthian RC View

Default Corinthian RC View

A pitch to work the RC! We had a fabulous view and time watching the boats speed E to W through Raccoon! Wylie Wabbit's on Fire! And I have never seen Dan's Galaxsea go so fast. Current were wild!....BUT the finish was one of the best sailing backwards RC has ever seen...Early in the sequence it seemed the best was to go to Angle and dive to the finish, late seemed to be get in close and ride the reverse Eddie...RC has some film but stories are better! Want say you fleet?

When Hank Easom is in front of you going back in there and you don't follow him, you're toopid.

I was toopid.

Who went back around the south side of Angel instead of Raccoon to the finish? We were having a hard time against the ebb trying to get into Raccoon so headed south. Redhawk was right behind us as we rounded Southhampton but they continued on west through the straight. As we rounded Little Harding right behind us was... Redhawk. So we don't know if it was worth it. If you have tracks please upload them as it's fun for the post-mortem.

According to the preliminary results, that singlehanded non spin division gets harder and harder ;-)
    I guess I'll stay in singlehanded spin over 162, where I only have to compete with slackers like Summertime Dream, Irish Blessing and Jacqueline. And then there is the matter of DM and me finishing before the deadline. Huh. Thank you, RC, for the weather and the fun fun fun conditions. It was a lovely ride.
    Last edited by Philpott; 03-27-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Here are the tracks of Kynntana and Nightmare (ignore the others who were not in the race): http://raceqs.com/tv-beta/tv.htm#use...&boat=Kynntana. My lessons learned: don't ever ever again sail into the wind hole on the north side of Alcatraz, don't ever ever again discount the benefits of the current near Angel Island while heading toward Southhampton Shoal, don't ever ever again sail into that wind hole near Corinthian. I'm a slow learner so public shaming might be the way to remember next time....

Seriously, I LOVE this race. The race committee was just full of awesomeness. Kristen is a gem on the radio and I love how quick Rick is to address grips from the peanut gallery. My truly one gripe is that there's some nastiness out there from non-SSSers. I heard it from one boat in particular this time, but have seen it other times. We should remind skippers (and in the SIs, perhaps) that this is a singlehand and shorthand group who are doing their best, and some of them might even be relatively new to this. We should also try to convey this to everyone who races with us to make sure that everyone's experience is a pleasant one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    My truly one gripe is that there's some nastiness out there from non-SSSers. I heard it from one boat in particular this time, but have seen it other times.
    You know what I say?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

In our class, a cluster of doublehanded spin 162+ boats rounded Southampton Shoal at about the same time. Of that cluster, that opted for Raccoon Strait, Wildcat of Loch Awe got to Little Harding first. However, the Newport 30 Zeehond apparently got there about the same time....I didn't see them... because that yellow spinnaker popped up alongside us on the way back to the Corinthian, and they went 'round Angel Island the other way.

It was a lovely day, and Siento El Viento and the Wildcat had a great race all day. We crossed the start right on their transom. They beat us to Little Harding, we passed them a little before Alcatraz. They held on to their kite a bit longer and got 200 yards ahead at Blossom. They overstood Blackaller and George called the tack spot on, we we had them by 200 yards at Blackaller. We tried different strategies heading down to Angel Island, they passed us and got to Southampton about 150 yards ahead. Then they went a little too close to Angel Island on the way back towards Raccoon Strait and we passed them again, and got to Little Harding 200 yards ahead. They set the kite on the way back in, we didn't and by the time we got to the parking lot down-current of the finish, we were overlapped. Pretty cool!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I watched Galaxsea and Jacqueline get caught in the "back ebb" sucking them backwards out of the Angel Island side of the eastern part of Racoon Strait. I said "ha ha not me" and fought north. I actually passed Jacqueline as he was sailing north out of the big eddy he was stuck in. And then the big monster got ahold of me and dragged me kicking and screaming backwards as Jacqueline managed to fight out and over the top of me. After a half an hour of going backwards and a pressing dinner engagement looming I packed it in. But it was a glorious day to be on The Bay!!!!

A highlight for me was the little wave I got from Lyndon Bailey as we passed AKULA. Sitting back in the stern, Lyndon was using his weight to promote planing on their J/105

AKULA passed back in front of us before long and they ended up beating us.

Name:  AKULA.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  188.7 KB
    Last edited by BobJ; 03-27-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Gutoff View Post
    Who went back around the south side of Angel instead of Raccoon to the finish? We were having a hard time against the ebb trying to get into Raccoon so headed south. Redhawk was right behind us as we rounded Southhampton but they continued on west through the straight. As we rounded Little Harding right behind us was... Redhawk. So we don't know if it was worth it. If you have tracks please upload them as it's fun for the post-mortem.
    I did that, around the south side of Angel Island. Definitely a bunch of boats that were near me at Southampton got to LH first. This current map from max ebb, about the time I made that decision looks like more bigger red faster current arrows through Racoon Strait.

Name:  current_max_ebb.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  386.4 KB

I uploaded GPS track. It looks like your track is better, in deeper water, after Southamptom. A macrame project at the finish.

Name:  corinthian_track.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  349.6 KB