Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seminars

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Default Seminars

OK, how about some seminars.

In the past we had some fairly informal briefings in conjunction with other meetings, and an e-rudder sail-in demo.

What do people want to see this time?

Or better, if you have equipment/expertise/experience, can you share with your fellow racers??

From 2015:

LongPac seminars

The LongPac race committee is pleased to announce the following calendar of seminars and get-togethers in preparation for the LongPac. Entrants, potential entrants and the merely curious are all welcome.

Saturday, May 16, Richmond YC. Emergency steering clinic and sail-in. Advice from experts is promised. If you're doing the race, come by with your boat and share your setup. Or lug your E-rudder over in your car if it's not set up yet. Hopefully we can knock a few equipment inspections out of the way while we're all there.

Wednesday May 20, in conjunction with the Singlehanded Farallones skippers meeting: Short presentations by race veterans with tips for a successful race. Very free-form. If you've done the race a time or two and have any ideas or opinions to share, please ping me to join in. If you don't, you may hear from me anyway.

Wednesday June 3, in conjunction with SHF awards meeting: Fire safety presentation by Steve Hodges, winner of last year's SH TransPac. Real fire is promised!

If you've got some expertise in a relevant subject to this year's race - first aid? weather? communications? - and would like to give a talk on the subject, we can give you a venue. Let me know!

Many thanks to Commodore Al for the heavy lifting on setting up these dates.
    Max

I'd love seminars. I know so little and everything is a puzzle. What seems to be most relevant to me at this time is going from here to there, safely first, fast next. What tools do you need? What training do you need? What if you're down to no power?

I'll be missing the PacCup seminar at the boat show because of prior commitments. If anyone goes I'd love a copy of any material shared, as long as I don't infringe copyright laws of course.

It would be fun and fruitful to have another e-steering show-and-tell and race. Same format as last time?

Either the last Saturday in April or the last Saturday in May look like possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It would be fun and fruitful to have another e-steering show-and-tell and race. Same format as last time?

Either the last Saturday in April or the last Saturday in May look like possibilities.
    Would it be of value to assemble an on-line 'manual' for setting up and executing the event? Strikes me that there is a tremendous amount of talent on the forum that can contribute; the resulting document would require an editor to manage it.

Any thoughts on doing this?

I'm completely happy to contribute my preparations, efforts, etc. to take on the LongPac.

Bob - what about you? Would you be up for collaborating on this and getting something out there for future folks to use and/or update?

- rob/beetle

I assume you mean a manual for putting on the LongPac? I haven't run that race so I'm not the best one to do it, but I'm willing to help.

If you mean the E-steering event, we've only done it once and it came together spontaneously on this forum. From "Hey, why don't we..." to the event was only a week or two. I was talking to Chris (FUGU) about it yesterday and it seems like that might happen again. We'll just say we're doing it and see who shows up. I'm planning to drop my rudder for this one - make it real.

I was thinking well beyond just the emergency rudder issue, and was not considering how the SSS actually runs the event (I've been on both sides of that face, a competitor in more than a few LongPacs, and race chair for LongPac and TransPac).

I was thinking more along the lines of the competitor's perspective: What do you need/want/should do to put yourself and boat on the line? If we could present enough information for folks to answer that question for themselves, that might be helpful to folks planning to do the race.

What'cha think?

- rob/beetle

If I can be of any assistance with information, tips, mentoring, etc, please do not hesitate to contact me. My email is cmjeffe at attglobal.net. I am in Utah until late May, so you won't have to listen to me going on for hours about how we used to do it back when being eaten by a sea monster was a real threat.
    Michael
    S/V Mouton Noir

Default Long Pac 2017 Seminar

Here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is this going to be broadcast or posted to youtube for those of us who cannot attend?

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

FREE STUFF

Hi Kids,

I have a 0.6 oz spin from an Olson 34, a bit tired but a viable backup, and a bunch of 5 gal yellow diesel jerry cans to give away at the meeting Wednesday night. First come, first served.