Thread: Nawiliwili Harbor

Default Nawiliwili Harbor

Questions: Did any of you past SHTP sailors have any trouble getting a guest slip for a few days at Nawiliwili harbor?

We've tried to reserve via email, phone call blah blah blah and no reply. We do plan on anchoring for the most part, but would like a slip for a couple days to provision, make repairs and fuel up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    Questions: Did any of you past SHTP sailors have any trouble getting a guest slip for a few days at Nawiliwili harbor?

We've tried to reserve via email, phone call blah blah blah and no reply. We do plan on anchoring for the most part, but would like a slip for a couple days to provision, make repairs and fuel up.
    Although it may be impractical for you, there is no substitute for physically visiting the office and (very pleasantly) communicating directly with the Harbormaster and her staff.

I PMed you with a bit more info.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 04-05-2017 at 10:00 AM.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Agreed, you need to stop by in person. I heard they get people all the time on the phone claiming they will show up on a certain date, and then don't.

Bring extra fenders, those are the scariest docks I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by pogen View Post
    Agreed, you need to stop by in person. I heard they get people all the time on the phone claiming they will show up on a certain date, and then don't.

Bring extra fenders, those are the scariest docks I've ever seen.
    Yea, and be prepared to set up chafe gear for your lines. The docks are fixed concrete piers (better to resist the occasional tropical I suppose). There is a lot of movement as the wind and tides push you around. Regardless, it is a lovely spot. Couple of shots on my Instagram
    Here's a link

http://www.imgrum.org/user/singlehan...633_1306102976

Thank you. Cement docks...check, extra fenders...check, new Awlgrip...fuck! Sail across an ocean no problem, docking in unknown harbor=cold sweat, heart palpatations and vomiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Steevee View Post
    Thank you. Cement docks...check, extra fenders...check, new Awlgrip...fuck! Sail across an ocean no problem, docking in unknown harbor=cold sweat, heart palpatations and vomiting.
    Ha ha ha, you nailed that one. Oh, and by the way, don't approach Nawiliwili harbor for the first time, as I did, just after dark with a nice seaway running. Boy, was that fun!!!
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 04-05-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Good advice, but a couple notes...

As someone said earlier, you likely won't get any helpful response over the phone or email. It's Kauai and operates at a different pace than much of the US. Just show up, they'll likely take care of you.

The harbor in nearby Port Allen is to be re-modeled/ docks re-built this summer. Many boats from there will filter into Nawiliwili this summer. I do not *think* this should affect the SSS fleet in 2018, but it's Hawaii; who knows...

There are generally plenty of slips available in Nawiliwili in the summer time as many boats go to Hanalei. You should have absolutely no problem getting a slip.

The harbor master, Kristy Kahananui, is very friendly and pleasant to work with.

You guys in Cali are soft, when in Hawaii you learn to tie up to broken concrete piers, etc, and not be too upset about it. Fender your boat up and bring 4 good dock lines and you'll be fine. It's not that bad. US 101 survived a small tsunami in 2012 when I left her in Nawiliwili for 4 months after doing the SHTP.

Nawiliwili, and the entire island of Kauai, is an absolute gem. Enjoy your time there, I was just there for a week three weeks ago. Loved it!