Thread: Rtr

Default Rtr

Dang, every time I decide I'll try to race, the forecast flips on me and I go and it's 0 kts and I DNF and then regret I didn't do something else that day.
    Reaaally thinking about getting my annual ski day in tomorrow...and I know if I do, you guys will have 15 kts and it will be awesome and I'll miss it. Dang. Decisions.
    Meanwhile, Easter Bunny is bringing a basket full of wind on Sunday.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 4.07.32 PM (2).png
Views: 540
Size:  708.7 KB
    Last edited by Lanikai; 04-14-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Maybe. I suspect that we may have a couple of "restart opportunities" - getting around Harding, after Raccoon or under the Richmond Bridge. Bring beer, patience and your light air kite sheets.

I sailed DM on the Circle today, slowly over to Angel Island against the flood in about 8 knots. It was very pleasant. Ate my sandwich, drank my coffee, drifted along. Raised the spinnaker on the way back to Berkeley, only tangled it twice. Not much excitement, but again, very nice.

Yup, true, forgot about the "restarts", that keeps it entertaining. If we can beat the flood to Harding, that would be helpful. Home free after that. Ok, I'm in. Packing my sunscreen.

The real stories are yet to appear. Skippers of heavier boats must wonder: How did 45 boats manage to get 'round that course? It is a testament to the tenacity of this club's sailors, that's for sure. Here is a photo of Happiness, a Cal 2-27 in happier moments - when she still thought she might finish the race. Also, in order to put some names to faces, remember that while sailors enjoyed the sunshine on the water, members of the race committee sat in that little wooden box all day long waiting for boats to float slowly past. Here is Rick Elkins, our fearless leader, Sam McFadden, who has an Olson 30 all in pieces, Kristen Sotebier, Tom Patterson, formerly of Dazzler, currently of Cloud, and Doug Soderstrom, who is just waiting around to call "mark". No photo of Carliane Johnson, because she decided she's rather spend time in a comfortable yacht club than standing in a crow's nest. Go figure.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Ha, a super showing of our inestimable race committee, Jackie I was just an interloper, but to my defense, I got three hours of work accomplished AND helped in the last two hours on the race deck. That was the first time helping out the SSS on the bay races where they're practically all from sunup to sundown, which is what we love about these races. Now I have a new appreciation for the work involved and everyone's dedication when they could have been on the water, too. I hope all racers will take a turn at it, because seriously, how many more mugs do you really need?!

I keep telling everyone the race deck it is the best seat in the house...

And here we have the other half of the Cal 2-27 fleet, demonstrating perfect spinnaker form to Happiness while daring half of the Nonsuch 30 fleet to just try and catch her. All of this, despite having already called in a DNC. She's no quitter, that Dura Mater! True Corinthian.

Then came the floods. Still, glad I didn't skip this one. I learn something every time I show up.

Name:  IMG_1171 2.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  119.8 KBName:  IMG_1172 2.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  108.9 KB
    Last edited by Lanikai; 04-16-2017 at 07:27 PM.

That was painful - especially the last reach up into the finish. I needed to jibe and get away from the buildings, but I didn't and life went slower and slower and slower. But at least we finished and made it home only slightly after bedtime for the little guy.