Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Single Handed Farallons

Default Single Handed Farallons

So, I'm mulling on doing the race this year for the first time. I did some crewed YRA events outside the gate last year and the boat is in good shape with all of the required equipment. What else do I need to know that's not obvious for a first timer? I have never sailed so far/long alone; what are the strategies for staying safe, managing the physical side of it and deciding when to drive or use the AP?

Ditto. A few more things to tick off the requirements list, but my chubby Cal and I just might be ready to try this year. I'm mainly using SHF as an arbitrary goal, knowing that I'll still have a few items to tick off the list and probably won't actually qualify -- but will be that much closer to compliance for Drakes and HMB.
    If by some miracle I make it to the SHF start, complete with MOB and parachute flares and all the rest up to muster, I'd like to hear tips from the regular loopers.

Make sure you have the 2017 safety equipment requirement list.
    Parachute flares are no longer required. 3.6.4
    Three solas day/night, handheld or parachute flares are required. 3.6.6

Seems redundant but I think the the key words are day/night.
    Also three instead of four.

I'll have to check what I have to see if they satisfy the day/night requirement.
    Everything was current for 2016.

As far as the race itself, I was advised to study the chart detail of the island and to plot a course around giving plenty of room.
    Some say to keep to at least 50 ft depth, more if a large swell is running.

BAMA has an extensive reading list they require for participation in their event. Lots of good info there, as well as our forum on past SHF.

I get seasick, but didn't know it until the 2015 SHF, my first one. It was pretty windy and lumpy that year.
    I wound up turning back a couple miles from the island feeling pretty wiped out.
    Now I take Dramamine, starting on Friday before the race to acclimate.

With dramamine I can eat and drink normally so I keep water and a bag of food and snacks handy.
    Also keep a pee bottle handy. I don't go over the side. ever.

Jacklines can be a bit troublesome and never seem to be perfect.
    I have to remember to take my time, plan ahead as much as possible.
    Generally I only have to go foreword to set up the kite. Sometimes I don't set.(twice) Once was pretty light.

I use the AP quite a bit. It steers better than I do but I like to steer after getting trimmed to a course.
    Tacking I do myself if there are waves and swell as the AP is slow to tack and we can get pushed back.
    Typically I go, AP off, tack and heave jib by hand, set AP, trim jib, trim AP, trim for course.
    Drink some water, have a snack, enjoy the view, check course, trim some more, then maybe steer for a while.

I keep learning and improving.

Keep it fun!
    It's ok to turn around if it isn't.
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Here's a link to a thread about the 2013 SHF. I was race chair that year so I also posted some comments:

http://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showth...Race-Questions

When shorthanding with my son I've started launching and retrieving my kite from the companionway instead of from the hatch or a bag at the rail. It seems to work well. So there's really no need to go forward at all during the race unless something goes wrong. The procedure for launch is:

1. Secure the sheet to the winch
    2. Sneak the tack past the shrouds, but on deck, as far as the wadded up mess in the companionway will allow.
    3. Hoist the kite to the top of the mast so that it can't shrimp
    4. Pull down the tack
    5. Trim the kite

for dousing,
    1. Toss the halyard and tack over the side
    2. Haul in on the lazy sheet
    3. Release the tack and gather the foot over the companionway
    4. blow the halyard and shove it all down the hole
    5. clean up

I have not tried this in more than 15 kts yet, but it's becoming my "go to" method for solo kite handling. Much easier than frigging around on the foredeck with the snuffer.

I did the SHF for the first time in 2015. At the start I was kinda "what the hell am I doing" (pretty much the same thoughts I had at start of 2015 LP and 16 SHTP by the way) but the first time I sighted SE Farallon I was thinking "I did it!!" although I hadn't really done it yet. It was very fulfilling. I had gone to the SFYC Sea Survival course earlier in the year and one of the Low Speed Chase survivors did a presentation. After hearing what he had to say I stayed way away from the island as I rounded. It was a bit rough but not scary rough. I think the key is to stay warm and fed. Layer up to start, you can always take things off later. Putting stuff on later can be a pain especially if you are already wet and cold.

Put some chow in the cockpit somewhere.

When you finish you will feel like you have really accomplished something regardless how you perform in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Here's a link to a thread about the 2013 SHF. I was race chair that year so I also posted some comments:

http://www.sfbaysss.org/forum/showth...Race-Questions
    Thanks for that, Bob. Forgot how great a thread that was. Should probably be sticky-d a month before all future SHFs.
    Some of those posts will be highly instructive as I make and install jacklines in the next week or two.

Btw, there was a reference in that thread to a boat called Fast Forward and implications of a spinnaker related disaster. Anyone know what that's about?

I just received the email OK that the GGYC Race Deck will be usable Sat until 17:30 so now I can finish the SI's and open the race. We will need a Committee Car at the breakwater after 17:30 for the finish..

I have done the race many time and same problem 50% of the time. I tend to forget to drink enough water and halfway back just as Lightspeed is screaming on a reach the leg cramps begin...Maybe just me loving to steer her on a reach or cockpit layout. Anyway just a heads up for a long race, keep food and water within hands reach....