Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Single Handed Farallons

I remember going to see Dans talk on what happened. I was an insensitive jerk for a few moments in the talk, and asked a tactless question purely out of being shocked that such a thing could happen to as competent a sailor as Dan. Anyway, aside from that, what I do I remember from the talk? Well... one thing.

Someone asked "why didn't you cut the spinnaker halyard?". The answer was..."It was kevlar". OK, the core was Kevlar. Dan DID try to cut it, and couldn't. Since then, I've never had a kevlar-cored line on any boat I own.

I corroborate Bob's comment about Dan telling us that Fast Forward was drifting so fast that his lightweight anchor just sailed over the bottom. Fast Forward was a really gorgeous boat, too.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

"Someone asked "why didn't you cut the spinnaker halyard?". The answer was..."It was kevlar". OK, the core was Kevlar. Dan DID try to cut it, and couldn't. Since then, I've never had a kevlar-cored line on any boat I own."

I use aramid (kevlar variants) for main and jib halyards, and I have a serrated knife. You don't need aramid for the kite - better to use HMWPE - Dynema, Spectra etc - tough, UV resistant and creepage does not matter in a kite halyard. Also, easier to cut in the samuri douse scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Has anyone used drogues with an ULDB, in particular an Olson 30?
    My boat is 5,500# so not an ULDB, but it's at the lighter end. I've played around with the Burke drogue and it's effective. You need strong cleats (or equivalent) to attach the bridle - Rags' cleats are larger than stock and have G-10 backing plates under the deck. Also, in the ocean I'd close up the hatch before deploying the drogue because when you're moving that slowly, some waves will wash over the deck. It's nice to have a cockpit that's open aft and won't hold water.

Today's forecast: WINDS WILL BE STRONGEST LATER TODAY AND OVER THE WEEKEND RESULTING IN INCREASINGLY HAZARDOUS SEA CONDITIONS.

Oh my. How long are the lines for your drogue, Bob?

About 100' plus a short length of chain to weight it down. But it's in storage - I'm not taking it on the Duxship Race tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    About 100' plus a short length of chain to weight it down. But it's in storage - I'm not taking it on the Duxship Race tomorrow.
    Yeah, nobody needs safety equipment for that race. Champagne weather, that. Fierce SF Bay sailors don't need no stinkin' drogues.

The entire race is under Pt. Reyes (with NW wind and waves). I'd probably take it for a Farallones race.

We'll have the e-rudder aboard however.

The entire race is under Pt. Reyes (with NW wind and waves). I'd probably take it for a Farallones race.

We'll have the e-rudder aboard however.
    It settled down and looked like amazing conditions for an offshore sail!! How was the Duxship race? Weather is looking light for next Saturday (again). What do the prognosticators say this far in advance? I'd like good wind but not TOO much! That's not asking for much, is it?

I can't say it settled down - it blew like crap outside. It was supposed to be windy at the start too, but it wasn't - maybe that's what you felt. In fact, a light easterly had us thinking about hoisting at the start. We didn't want to show our hand early so Dave stayed on the tiller while I brought the A3 on deck at the last minute and hooked it up. We hoisted with a few seconds to go and caught a couple boats napping. But flying the kite was short-lived - the predicted NW'ly appeared before long and we quickly doused. Then it was the main and #3 until past Bonita and a reef after that - all day.

I also saw a forecast for hotter weather and lighter wind later in the week, so after this blow the SHF might be more like last year.
    Last edited by BobJ; 05-15-2017 at 07:27 AM.

We didn't want to show our hand early so Dave stayed on the tiller while I brought the A3 on deck at the last minute and hooked it up. We hoisted with a few seconds to go and caught a couple boats napping.
    Anyone who has Morris crewing should have to give up extra time...