Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Single Handed Farallons

At the Skipper's meeting last night Rick Elkins asked for a show of hands from those people who were doing the race for the first time. There were a lot of hands. Last year or the year before that ... or years ago I asked Bob Johnston for advice. Here it is:

Well first, that's an average for the whole day and 15-25 is a broad range. The last time I looked it was going to be more like high teens out at the Farallones = a piece o'cake. It is forecast to get windier at the end of the day, with gusts as high as 31 knots. Therefore if you're not around the island by mid-afternoon you might want to head back, but see how it's going and how you're feeling.

On the way out, once the breeze picks up keep your sails flat - plenty of halyard tension, cunningham and outhaul on the main, halyard and sheet on the jib (grind it in flat). If you're still heeling too much you can reef of course, and also try to move the jib leads aft to open up the jib's leech a bit while keeping the foot tight.
    On the way back you can ease everything some. A looser vang will help to keep you from broaching and of course, ease the mainsheet well out if it's getting broachy. If the jib is a little on the tight side (overtrimmed) it will hold your bow down better coming back, also reducing the tendency to broach. If you have an outboard jib lead (like out to the rail) use that - it will also want to led a little farther forward. This will keep the top of the sail from luffing when you ease it out on the reach home.

If that forecast (SAT...NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 5 FT. NW SWELL 6 TO 8 FT AT 9 SECONDS. .SAT NIGHT...NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 7 FT. NW SWELL 7 TO 9 FT AT 8 SECONDS. ) proves correct and the wave period is that short, it's going to be a bit sloppy. Remember though - just close up the companionway and turn around and it becomes more manageable/comfortable coming back. So keep going until you're not having fun anymore and then turn around. Hopefully that will be at the island!

Just a reminder on the rounding: You see the knob on the NE corner of the island from way off so it's pretty easy to plan to pass it at a seamanlike distance. Once you do that, don't bear off - hold a heading of 255 Mag (270 True) i.e. due West, even though the island tapers off to the south as you proceed along the north side. Watch for breakers off your STARBOARD bow. If you see any big ones, tack over and get farther North. Then don't bear away around the west end of the island until you're almost past it. Simply said - sail due West across the top, don't cut the corner.

Then once around and in the lee of the island (on the south side), use the head and get everything out in the cockpit you're going to want during the trip home. Then relax and enjoy the ride. It's nice to know the bearing back to the Gate since you won't be able to see it until you get closer in. Don't forget to turn on your running lights (I do it early), call in your approach to the finish and jot down your finish time in case the R/C misses it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

As Jackie has reminding us, this thread started asking for advice for a first SSS Farallones Race. My comments are from the perspective of having done it a few times, and from having turned around some of those times (including saying to myself: "Do I really feel like I need a beating today?").
    1. It's going to be a really long day on the water. Try to be well rested the night before and have the boat well prepared - no last minute projects.
    2. Stay well hydrated. The Navy has done studies that suggest being hydrated reduces propensity to sea sickness. Use a pee bucket or urinal; don't even consider trying to pee off the side.
    3. Even with an autopilot, be prepared to spend long hours at the helm (it's faster). Eat to keep energy up. Have a dry bag with snacks at hand in the cockpit.
    4. When you round SE Farallone, this is the time for that quick trip below to get whatever you need for the return: lunch, more food, water or that special treat. You're going to get very busy and probably won't have another opportunity.

Pace yourself, and moreover, take care of yourself. More than likely, most of the races you have done to date, you could gut it out to the finish, and afterward addressed your personal needs. This will be a long day.

Most important: Enjoy the Ocean. It's not the same as racing in the Bay.

Tom

It was a long day alright. Unfortunately frustrating long as opposed to exciting and exhausting long.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    It was a long day alright. Unfortunately frustrating long as opposed to exciting and exhausting long.
    I was really glad to have radar! It was super freaky to hear blasts right next to us from that tanker and not see him other than a diamond on the radar screen. That's unnerving. I also almost ran over a sleeping whale just east of Mile Rock. I heard a blow and then my bow was about to go over him when I saw him and swerved just a bit. He might have also lowered his head a little, but wasn't moving at all. Does anyone know what the emergency was at the Farallones?

Six Brothers? Huh? Who dat? In case you were wondering:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Six Brothers? Huh? Who dat? In case you were wondering:
    I had her on AIS when she was about half way to the Farallons. Meanwhile I was about 1000 yards off the coast up north of the Bonita channel, I was not alone...Oh the humanity !!

Default Some Pics from Farallones Race 2017

Interesting day on the ocean; I think if you are going to hold a race you should at least provide some wind! (LOL)
    Here are a few photos I took during the race - each has more than one boat in it usually only visible if zoomed in.

Ralph Morganstern
    Geodesic III

HAHAHA Ralph, that's about what I saw, too. You are one cool cucumber taking photos in that fog, with first the bridge horns and then the tanker horns and then the attacking whales!

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/c...st-Of-Patience

A write up of sorts for you all to enjoy!

Just south of Bonita on Saturday I watched Doug Soderstrom wrassling with his big fat jib on Foxxfyre. It was flying like a spinnaker trying to wrap itself around the forestay and looked a little worrisome. That's a huge boat. Doug didn't seem worried. He was reeling it in like a big fish. I tacked to starboard past, and could only see him for awhile before the fog hid him. Shortly afterward he sailed up next to me and called over that his halyard or shackle or something had jammed.

Then he shouted out, "Do you smell that?" Yeah, I smelled it. Whale breath. It's nasty and distinctive. "Well," he yelled, "We'd better get out of the approach lane." And he sailed away. I continued on toward where I knew all the rocks were off the Cliff House because ... they were not near the approach lane. Then I heard Joe Mannion on the radio saying that his bilge pump had gone off after a whale mistook his Hunter 33 Lenora for a potential mate. I heard David Herrigel ask whether Joe wanted him to stand by. I thought, "Aw, what a nice crowd." and "Where the hell is that whale? It sure smells bad around here." And that's when my chart plotter died. Just died. But I still had my handheld and my compass, right? So the fact that the fog was total shouldn't have mattered. Except that, without that chart plotter and with all that bad smell, I decided I could save it for another day.

Back at the dock Rick Elkins and Steve Katzman had just been evicted from the Golden Gate Yacht Club race deck. The nerve of them! They wanted to run a race off their own deck. So Rick and Steve came down to Dura Mater whose mast head antenna was working splendidly. I had bottled water and chocolate and even V-8 juice aboard. Almost as classy as the yacht club itself, I think. Carliane called in on her way back to Alameda to ask if the RC needed help, but Mike and Linda of the s/v Harp were coming back, and so was Tom Patterson, so Rick apparently declined her kind offer.

I didn't hear him, because I was on my way over to Lenora in Gas House Cove, the marina next to Port Mason. There’s a fuel dock there, did you know? Now you do. A beautiful day's walk, and there I found Joe Mannion on the lovely Lenora. Turns out the whale didn't give Lenora a love smack at all. Joe said he felt no contact at all, but the bilge pump went crazy, and he thought there was water ingress. Better to err on the side of caution when your bilge pump goes off apres a whale experience, Joe thought. He certainly sounded calm out there on the radio.

I found him sitting comfortably in his cabin, monitoring the bilge behavior. Seems it had fallen on its side and was just fussing at him. He tied it down with some wire and watched it for awhile. No water. No fussing. So he called his wife and told her he was back in the bay. Her name is "Nouri". A lovely Irish girl's name. Wonder where he got the name for his boat? There are some photos at the end here.

Tom Boussie s/v JouJou arrived in high wind at his slip just behind the GGYC at about 4pm. He was rueful but generous: offered his boat for race committee duty so I could sail home before it got dark. Which I did, reefed in 20 knots of wind. What a day!