Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Single Handed Farallons

It is really an amazing place. You want heavy fog, Just head over there a piece, calm but cool sunny weather? Jink over here a mile or two, 20Kts wind, sunshine, and heavy chop? cruise over there a couple thousand yards, 15 Kts wind, flat water, sunshine, a little warmth? Turn north at that little point over there? Hot weather and no wind, head East a few miles. You can experience every kind of sailing in an afternoon. Which is pretty much what we did on Saturday.

So, for those who've run into a sleeping whale, how do they react? I almost t-boned one just east of Mile Rock and wonder if it would have startled, slammed its tail into Kynntana, or what? I read the next day that 4 people were hauled out of the Atlantic ocean when their boat sank after hitting a whale. I guess each whale might react differently, and it seems like bad news for both parties involved, but curious if anyone has any experience with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    So, for those who've run into a sleeping whale, how do they react? I almost t-boned one just east of Mile Rock and wonder if it would have startled, slammed its tail into Kynntana, or what?I guess each whale might react differently, and it seems like bad news for both parties involved, but curious if anyone has any experience with this.
    Generalizing about whale strikes is not very fruitful. A lot depends on the size, type, speed, and personality of the whale. As well as the boat...once hit a whale while motoring a 68 foot ULDB up Baja at 8 knots at night. It was like hitting a soft rock. The wheel was knocked out of my hands. The leading edge of the keel was pushed into the boat, causing a small leak. The prop shaft was bent, reducing motoring speed by half....

Sperm whales can successfully use their large and blunt heads as battering rams. Ask Natalie, who had one come through the cabin north of Hawaii. Boat quickly sank.... I believe that sperm was likely being protective of a nearby pod.

Friend Gary had his plywood trimaran holed north of the Marquesas by a pod of pseudo-orcas....
    Last edited by sleddog; 05-25-2017 at 08:29 AM.