Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about lifeline requirements for ocean races.

Default Question about lifeline requirements for ocean races.

Hey SSS,
    I am in the home stretch of bringing the Crane Wife up to the Northern California Offshore Racing Council’s Minimum Equipment Requirements for the Singlehanded Farallones next month. I am replacing my old coated lifelines with dyneema and ran into an issue. Crane Wife has a gate on either side in the lifelines that uses a pelican clip to close the top lifeline and no bottom lifeline. The lack of a lower lifeline in the gate area would seem to violate rule 2.4.7 which states, "Boats 30' and over (9.14m) shall have at least two lifelines with 24" (762mm) minimum height above deck, and a maximum vertical gap of 15" (381mm)..." When I replace the lifelines, should I run the new ones (upper and lower) straight through this gate or is it legal to have it open on the bottom? I figure that I will probably go with the conservative option and just run the lines all the way from bow to stern, but I thought I would ask. Thanks for the help!

Evan

Don't throw away your wire lifelines (if they're in good shape and you can strip off the vinyl). The last I heard, NorCalORC/OYRA plans to require wire again effective 1/1/2018, as they try to stay close to what US Sailing is requiring. I can't speak for what SSS plans to require.

To answer your question, you'd need the lower lifelines in the gate areas as well.
    Last edited by BobJ; 04-26-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Hi Evan,

As you surmise, the intention is having continuous upper and lower lifelines around the working deck, no gaps to possibly fall through such as a gate opening... Running dyneema through the stanchions at the gate is one possibility...or clove hitch the lower lifeline to the stanchions at the gate position. Two additional thoughts you've likely considered: Dyneema through some variety of stanchion holes may be subject to chafe. Attention to chafe at the stanchions is paramount. Also, it sounds like you are eliminating the pelican hooks, which to my way of thinking is a good thing. I've seen too many lifeline pelican hooks accidentally open.

Default NCORC 2017 allows HMPE lifelines

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Don't throw away your wire lifelines (if they're in good shape and you can strip off the vinyl). The last I heard, NorCalORC/OYRA plans to require wire again effective 1/1/2018, as they try to stay close to what US Sailing is requiring. I can't speak for what SSS plans to require (except to state a general, non-targeted "I told you so.")

To answer your question, you'd need the lower lifelines in the gate areas as well.
    Actually in the recent NCORC meeting, OYRA planned to follow USS. A productive discussion with a healthy advocacy from SSS (and assist from BAMA) led to a decision to not follow USS.

Some key points discussed and I followed up on some research:
    The issue w HMPE is meltdown of lifeline under load by running rigging friction- more of an issue on big boats big conditions and wrong line. There is specific line sold for lifeline which has outer chafe guard layer. This line is also pre-stretched and set (by some polymer) and is difficult to splice by amateurs.
    The failure of HMPE is often by DIY spectra (easy to splice) line splices coming undone and improper ferrels in stanchion (need rounded) causing chafing.

Addressed by education and periodic inspection- WIP

A key benefit identified of HMPE is a source of additional longlines in hawaii races for jury rig. A tipping point in the discussion.

http://norcalorc.org/gear
    Name:  HMPE lifelines etc NCORC 2017.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  139.9 KB
    Last edited by K38Bob; 04-26-2017 at 08:21 AM.

I too have replaced all my lifelines with Dyneema. All the terminals are spliced and stitched. I also ran vinyl tubing through the stantions for chafe prevention. I hope I didn't nump the gun as far as the wire requirements​. That would suck.Name:  IMG_20170116_161330063_HDR.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  2.98 MB
    Last edited by Steevee; 04-26-2017 at 09:15 AM.

I did use proper barrels at the terminals as well. The lines are continuous. I hope this meets requirements.Name:  IMG_20170116_161316624_HDR.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  3.79 MB

I think you are OK on the spectra vs wire requirement, at least for now. [see K38Bob's post above]
    And the chafe protection on the stantions looks good. Bear in mind this will become out of alignment over time as the lines are stretched.

here's the but...

I am not a fan of the eyes splice through the terminals... This looks like stretching the rope over a hard corner and under tension at that.
    The preferred methodology for spectra (and wire) lifelines is multilayered lashings no longer then 4" at one end [usually the stern end].
    given the tang on your bow pulpit, I would have preferred to see a decently sized shackle to attach the eye-splice to, then lashings at the stern end to apply tension.

DH

I am not a fan of the eyes splice through the terminals... This looks like stretching the rope over a hard corner and under tension at that.
    I agree. It's hard to tell from the photo, but the barrel fittings are nicely rounded(no sharp edges) aluminum specific for Dyneema.

Quote Originally Posted by K38Bob View Post
    Actually in the recent NCORC meeting, OYRA planned to follow USS. A productive discussion with a healthy advocacy from SSS (and assist from BAMA) led to a decision to not follow USS.
    I know that was the decision for this season but as of February, OYRA had voted to ban HMPE lifelines starting next season. I've sent Andy an e-mail to clarify.

Default Check NOR/SI for requirements

Quote Originally Posted by K38Bob View Post

Some key points discussed and I followed up on some research:
    The issue w HMPE is meltdown of lifeline under load by running rigging friction- more of an issue on big boats big conditions and wrong line. There is specific line sold for lifeline which has outer chafe guard layer. This line is also pre-stretched and set (by some polymer) and is difficult to splice by amateurs.
    The failure of HMPE is often by DIY spectra (easy to splice) line splices coming undone and improper ferrels in stanchion (need rounded) causing chafing.

Addressed by education and periodic inspection- WIP

A key benefit identified of HMPE is a source of additional longlines in hawaii races for jury rig. A tipping point in the discussion.

Name:  HMPE lifelines etc NCORC 2017.JPG
Views: 680
Size:  139.9 KB
    PS as a/the key instigator (thorn in side, pebble in shoe) of this preface- Can't believe I didn't mention it. USS nor NCORC is a regulatory body/authority. The organizing authority (OA) for the race is the authority- see NOR SI for requirements that are linked to USCG Marine Event Permit (MEP)
    Name:  Organizing Authority for GEAR.JPG
Views: 1016
Size:  29.9 KB