Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seminar Schedule and Notification

I'm sure these links will be up on the web site soon, but you can download and print these articles, which will be available as handouts at the seminar.

Paul Kamens OLD rudder document :
    http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/tra..._seminar_2.pdf

Pauls new revised and improved one is here:
    http://www.well.com/user/pk/PacificC...yRudder-08.htm

Jim Antrims is here, just look down through the list and you'll find the emergency rudder one. NOte that ET sails to Hawaii with three people aboard, so an emergency rudder that works with an autopilot isn't so important:
    http://www.antrimdesign.com/articles/

A copy of a great article that Rob MacFarlane wrote can be found here:
    http://www.bluemoment.com/emergencyrudders.html

A powerpoint presentation reviewing rudder systems from Moore 24's, SC 27's, Express 27's is being assembled and will be available either very shortly before the seminar, or immeadiately afterwards (I'll try to post it to SOME web server beforehand)
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Many thanks to the speakers last night; notably

Rob MacFarlane
    Brian Boschma
    Greg Nelson
    Hans Bernwall

There were four example rudders on site, from totally high tech composite foam/epoxy/carbon structures with carbon cassettes to douglas fir shaped in the garage with hand tools. I think I'll be 'glassing up my doug fir rudder in the near future after talking to some of the guys! Hans brought down the SOS emergency rudder system, and much talk ensued over using the EMRUD attachment for the Monitor Windvane as well.

We had about 45 people in attendance, lots of Pac Cup people as well as SSS'ers and a handful from the Coyote Point Yacht Club. Handouts from Paul Kamen, Rob MacFarlane and Jim Antrim were made available. We took a look at some small boat systems as well, from solid to "doubtful". More of those will be available on the web site, soon.

MANY thanks to the Coyote Point Yacht Club for allowing us to use their facility, and to TransPac Race Chairfemme Synthia Petroka for contacting the Club and making arrangements. A few pictures of the evenings activities should soon be posted on the website.

AlanH
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Default November 19th E-Rudder Seminar

Thanks again to everyone that participated, either locally or remotely.

Here are the statistics that I collected from the meeting:
    Signed-in attendance: 40
    SHTP interest: 15
    Pac Cup interest: 18
    SSS members: 15
    Host YC (Coyote Point) members: 10
    Other YCs, 1 each: OYC, BYC, RYC, SBYC, SCYC, BBYC, SCC, PAYC

If you were a dial-in, please let us know how that worked and any reasonable improvements that we might be able to make for future seminars.

Next seminar topic is Communications, on Monday December 17th @ Ballena Bay YC in Alameda.

Synthia/Eyrie
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Default December seminar - Communications

Arrrh me maties,

Need a diversion from your holiday gift wrapping? Well, this is for you!

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the third seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This months topic is "Offshore Communications", which will cover navigation, weather & performance sailing software. Don Melcher from H.F. Radio on Board www.hfradio.com/ and Marilee Shaffer from Waypoint www.waypoints.com/ have extensive knowledge they'll be sharing on the world of offshore communication and computer-based navigation and tactical applications.

This seminar will be hosted by the Ballena Bay Yacht Club www.bbyc.org on Monday December 17th, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed. No host bar.

For more information about the Singlehanded Sailing Society, check our web site: www.sfbaysss.org
    There you will find a link to the Singlehanded TransPac Race page with everything relating to our upcoming 30th anniversary race scheduled to start on July 12th, 2008.

The schedule for future seminars is as follows:
    January - Sail Selection and Repair
    February - Electrical
    March - Diesel Engines
    April - Rigging
    May - Provisioning & Return Trip
    June - Medical & Safety
    July Tactics & Weather
    Exact dates and locations are posted on the SSS web site.

We hope to see you next Monday. Holiday gift not required.

Pirate Name: Skull Crusher Johnson
    2008 Singlehanded TransPac Race Chair

Pirate Name Generator: http://www.stupidstuff.org/main/piratename.htm
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Will the teleconference phone number and participant passcode be the same as for the November seminar?

I'll be dialing in if the link is available.
    John Barthelmass
    2.7 Seconds
    Columbia 30 SY

Default I have the same question as John B . . .

what will be the phone in number and passcode for tomorrow night's seminar?

Regards and thanks for setting this up, Tom Kirschbaum, Feral

Default Next seminars

Is there a date time and location for the January and February seminars?
    Thanks
    Lou

Default Seminar details

All the details for the seminars are posted on the web site:
    http://www.sfbaysss.org/TransPac/tra...r_schedule.htm

6:30 pm doors (bar) open, 7:30 pm seminar starts

January 14, 2008 - Sequoia YC - Sail Selection & Repair
    February 11, 2008 - Richmond YC - Electrical

Synthia/Eyrie
    ~ Blues Image

Talking Thanks Synthia

I will be back in Mexico for the Jan and Feb seminars but hope to get to March seminar at least just to visit. I found schedule after I posted the question but could not undo the question. BTW I am really jazzed about the GMN MaxGate email system. PS I am working hard on a synopsis for my medical talk in June.
    Regards to all
    Lou

Default January Seminar

Arrrh me maties,

Need a diversion from those all night gym session working off that unsightly holiday weight gain? Or maybe you're bored with riding your stationary bike from the living room to the kitchen? Well, this is for you!

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the fourth seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. This months topic is "Offshore Sail Selection & Repair", and we will have 3 guest speakers: Dave Hodges from Santa Cruz Sails, Dave Culp from Kite Ship, and Synthia Petroka from UK-Halsey Sailmakers.

This months seminar will be hosted by the Sequoia Yacht Club www.sequoiayc.org in Redwood City on Monday January 14th. Doors (& no host bar) open at 6:30 PM, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM, and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed.

For more information about the Singlehanded Sailing Society, check our web site: www.sfbaysss.org
    There you will find a link to the Singlehanded TransPac Race page with everything relating to our upcoming 30th anniversary race scheduled to start on Saturday July 12th, 2008.

Also of interest for preparing you and your boat to sail 2000+ miles, the Pacific Cup folks will be holding their second Prep Seminar on Saturday February 23rd. You can get all the details on their web site: www.pacificcup.org

The schedule for future SSS TransPac seminars is as follows:
    February - Electrical
    March - Diesel Engines
    April - Rigging
    May - Provisioning & Return Trip
    June - Medical & Safety
    July Tactics & Weather
    Exact dates and locations are posted on the SSS web site.

Pirate Name: Skull Crusher Johnson
    2008 Singlehanded TransPac Race Chair

Pirate Name Generator: http://www.stupidstuff.org/main/piratename.htm
    ~ Blues Image