Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seminar Schedule and Notification

Default Seminar Schedule and Notification

Not to be a PIA........but just curious when the Seminar Series is going to start up?

If y'all want, we can use this thread for discussion of the seminar series, though the individual topics...electronics, emergency steering, etc. will all likely get their own treatment in many different threads.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

One thing I'm hoping is that I can gain access to the seminar information remotely (get a copy of the presentation or whatever). I'm in Southern California and, assuming the seminars are in the middle of the week like they've been before, it'll be tough to attend most of them while trying to preserve vacation time that I'll need next July.

By the way, I'd like to be part of the solution - if I can help out in any way (maybe turn speakers' notes into an electronic file that can be distributed, or organize speakers' notes into a presentation, or whatever) I'd be glad to help.
    John Barthelmass
    2.7 Seconds
    Columbia 30 SY

Smile

I have plenty of yacht clubs located around the Bay Area that are very interested in hosting our seminars but have had little luck with lining up speakers . If anyone wants to volunteer please contact me.

I would like to start off the series in October with an evening of vets simply sharing their stories about what worked, what didn't, etc. It would even be appropriate for shore crew (race committee, spouses) to share their stories too. Again, let me know if you want to participate.

Synthia
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I have plenty of yacht clubs located around the Bay Area that are very interested in hosting our seminars but have had little luck with lining up speakers . If anyone wants to volunteer please contact me.

I would like to start off the series in October with an evening of vets simply sharing their stories about what worked, what didn't, etc. It would even be appropriate for shore crew (race committee, spouses) to share their stories too. Again, let me know if you want to participate.

Synthia
    I am hardly anyone who should be talking about a darned thing in any of these seminars, seeing as my Transpac attempts have been a litany of failures, but I will volunteer to put together a nights presentation on emergency steering. I think I still have my powerpoint presentation from 2004. I can present in November or December. It'd probably be good to have this one early-up as the emergency steering issue is usually a big one for most new transpaccers.

...which means I will be hitting up a number of folks to bring in examples of your emergency backup steering systems. I may be walking around your marina with a digital camera, too.

Note that I don't think I should do a presentation on steering in general, that is, autopilots. There are many others who know a *heck* of a lot more than I do on this subject. I can ask the Scanmar guys to bring in the MRUD so that folks can get a look at it, though.

Another suggestion, though this would be for a Saturday or Sunday when the race gets closer.... Ask Sal if he will inflate a liferaft in a yacht club pool. Have a couple of SSS'ers put on foul weather gear and climb into it. I did that activity in 2004 and it was *extremely* educational.

Default First safety seminar scheduled for October

The Singlehanded Sailing Society presents the first seminar in our monthly series on preparing you and your sailboat to successfully race singlehanded from San Francisco, CA to Kauai, HI. Our first topic is "Getting Started", which will cover the equipment requirements our safety inspectors will check for before you are allowed to cross the starting line. We will have a number of veteran racers that will share their approach to solving the requirements for their particular boat, one of them will surely work for your boat. We will also show a 1 hour documentary about the 1986 race.

The first seminar will be hosted by the South Beach Yacht Club (www.southbeachyc.org) on Monday October 22, our presentation will begin at 7:30 PM and run until about 10 PM. There is no charge for attending and everyone is welcomed. No host bar.

The tenative schedule for future seminars is as follows:
    November - Emergency Steering
    December - Offshore Communications
    January - Sail Selection and Repair
    February - Electrical
    March - Diesel Engines
    April - Rigging
    May - Provisioning & Return Trip
    June - Medical & Safety
    July Tactics & Weather

Exact dates and locations will be posted as they are confirmed, but you can plan on one every 4-5 weeks, on a Monday or Tuesday night, located at various yacht clubs around the SF bay area. So stay tuned!

Synthia Petroka
    2008 Singlehanded TransPac Race Chair
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Exclamation First safety seminar scheduled for October

I forgot to mention: Doors 6:30pm
    So come early and quench your thirst before the crowds hit
    ~ Blues Image

Miz Eyrie, I am taking a MS Networking class on Monday nights, and so please schedule my presentation on emergency steering (If I'm elected to do one) for a Tuesday night!. All my tuesdays in November are currently open, no commitments.

If that can't be done, then I happily and gracefully cede to opportunity to give the seminar on emergency steering to anyone else who cares to do one.

Default Pacific Cup Preparation Seminar & Party

Talk about great minds thinking alike, the Pac Cup folks are running their first seminar the day before ours. Theirs is an all day thing on Sunday 10/21 at the Berkeley YC. You can find out the details and register on their web site: www.pacificcup.org

Sally Richards @ Pineapple Sails sent me the agenda (attached) and mentioned that they are trying to address the needs of those who haven't done this before, predominantly. So beside crew development, all the topics will be beneficial to us singlehanders that lack social skills and have poor personal hygiene habits and are therefore force to sail alone. Or maybe it's because your boat can only carry enough beer for one? Well, no matter why, if you're looking for more tips on getting from SF to HI, consider attending.

Scull Crusher Johnson
    ~ Blues Image

Default Seminar - meeting by phone ? Is the first seminar worth it ?

Esteemed members of the SSS:

I have offered to assist Synthia in setting up some kind of live on line presence for the seminars.

The plan is to have dial up number where folks could listen into the presentation and have the presentation materials online, if we can get power point of JPEG/GIF from the presenters in advance of the meeting.

My questions are:

1. Are there enough viewers out there who have an interest to tune in ? (I know of at least 1).

2. Is the club willing to foot the bill ? I believe the dial up conference line will have a charge of around $25. per hour based on a bit of research.

3. The first meeting is a movie. Since I know of no digitized version of same a movie doesn't seem like something we can use in this format. Is there any reason to go online with the first seminar ?

Thanks for your input.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Not to be a PIA........but just curious when the Seminar Series is going to start up?

If y'all want, we can use this thread for discussion of the seminar series, though the individual topics...electronics, emergency steering, etc. will all likely get their own treatment in many different threads.