Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seminar Schedule and Notification

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    It was great to meet Don, Rich and others.

I listened to some of the remote access discussion and it kind of fried my brain. Maybe we just have somebody volunteer to tape the thing and make some copies for sale?

Any volunteers? You would be opening these seminars up to a much wider audience and doing the club a great service!
    Hy Bob and all,

With all due respect and not wanting to step on anybody's toes (being new and from Southern California) the reason I'm adamant on live call in (as long as it's available) is that we can ask questions and follow real time on PC. Files or slides (powerpoint?) would be downloaded to us in advance.

Very easy to do on our end. Probably sounds a little complicated but the other guys are doing the work. We just pay our fair share and don't have to travel to each seminar.

Thanks
    Rich
    ------

No toes stepped on - but it did sound complicated when they were talking about it. I agree it would be good to be able to ask questions.

Maybe we could also get a volunteer to tape the seminars in case somebody couldn't be there and/or dial in, or the hook-up didn't work as advertised.

Bob J.

EMERGENCY STEERING SEMINAR

November 19th, Coyote Point Yacht Club
    6:30 bar open, 7:00 presentations start
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    EMERGENCY STEERING SEMINAR

November 19th, Coyote Point Yacht Club
    6:30 bar open, 7:00 presentations start
    GAAA...Presentations start at 7:30.

Synthia sings her Aria from the Opera Il Barberhaulieri di Genoa at 8:00 in which the heroine curses her fate, releases the furies, re-strings her ukelele with spectra and strangles the villian with a garotte of cuben fiber, all the while straining for the e-flat above high C. Not to be missed.

Default Seminar minutes?

Having attended the first seminar at SBYC, I can empathize with those that couldn't make it regarding the need to get information; the meeting was very informative and encouraging. The requests from interested parties out of the area to have dial up access, powerpoint, web cam, etc., seems to suggest that a solution to disseminating meeting minutes might be well received.

Although I reside in the bay area and can make these meetings...for the most part, I am bummed that I'll be missing the November 19 meeting on Emergency Steering due to a planned vacation out of the country. Is there any way someone, maybe a couple volunteers, can take minutes of what was talked about? Is this a reasonable request? I understand that minutes wouldn't have the visual effects that a video camera would have, but something is better than nothing.

Thanks in advance to those members that are involved with putting these seminars together.

Quote Originally Posted by Malolo View Post
    Is there any way someone, maybe a couple volunteers, can take minutes of what was talked about? Is this a reasonable request? I understand that minutes wouldn't have the visual effects that a video camera would have, but something is better than nothing.

Thanks in advance to those members that are involved with putting these seminars together.
    A lot of the information should be available via powerpoint presentations, photos, word docs, pdf's and so on. Not sure about plans to videotape the whole shebang. One of the real draws to this seminar, even more so than some of the others is the chance to get your hands on working equipment. Making your own emergency steering system is a significant undertaking, and to be able to physically touch a blade and ask the guy that made it how he did it is priceless. After seeing systems and deciding what will or won't work for you boat...perhaps opting to purchase an SOS system, you will know immensely more than when you started.

I well remember diving headlong into making my own emergency rudder cassette system in 2003, only to go to the Emergency Steering seminar that year and feel my jaw hit the floor. I started over again and had a system that was one tenth the weight and plenty strong enough.

If someone is planning on doing this...I highly recommend making it to the Emergency Rudder seminar.

Question

I won't be able to attend the November seminar, but would like to acquire whatever presentation or notes may be available if possible.

I also wonder whether there has been any new developments regarding some form of real-time conference line for the seminar series?

On both of the above issues, I'd be glad to pay for the benefits.
    John Barthelmass
    2.7 Seconds
    Columbia 30 SY

Hey all,
    John (2.7 Seconds) Barthelmass and myself (Horizon) are down here in Southern California and so I'm just confirming that John and myself are willing and able to contribute to the online call-in conference call.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rich Hillman
    captainrich1@sbcglobal.net

Thumbs up On-line conference calling

Let us all give a big heap of accolades to Don/Warriors Wish for his extremely generous donation of a conference phone. And while we're at it, more accolades to Brian/Red Sky for addressing the details of getting it all working, and to Alan/Ankle Biter for coordinating all the speakers and data for the upcoming Emergency Steering seminar which will be our first test drive. Details on how to log-in are forth coming.

Be sure to tune in on Monday Nov 19th 7:30PM.

Synthia
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. Be amazed at the friends you have here on your trip.
    Ride, captain ride upon your mystery ship. On your way to a world that others might have missed.
    ~ Blues Image

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    Let us all give a big heap of accolades to Don/Warriors Wish for his extremely generous donation of a conference phone. And while we're at it, more accolades to Brian/Red Sky for addressing the details of getting it all working, and to Alan/Ankle Biter for coordinating all the speakers and data for the upcoming Emergency Steering seminar which will be our first test drive. Details on how to log-in are forth coming.

Be sure to tune in on Monday Nov 19th 7:30PM.

Synthia
    Hi Synthia,

John (2.7 Seconds) and I (Horizon) down here in SoCal haven't heard anything more since your message of 11/08. We don't have any details on how to hookup and whether any presentations will be downloaded so we can follow along while we're listening in.
    Any info?
    Thanks,
    Rich Hillman
    -------------