Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Tchoup

CPAP machine Pat. Need a good nights sleep.
    Hey Mr Wylieguy I have some questions regarding reefing a wishboom rigged mast. I'm gonna give you a ring.

French boat did a stability test. They couldn't get it to turtle. And he only used 20 lbs of lead in the centerboard. Although he said he is adding another 50 lbs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zbpIYAXh8

It didn't self right either...

It's not a keel boat Dan. I don't think anybody thought it would self right.

A while back I was talking with Bedard about how I wanted to be able to remove the rig for some rowboat adventures. I wondered how it would row if i pulled out the centerboard and he suggested I make a simple skeg or foil for rowboat mode. So I've started on that.

But first, the top of the row boat adventure bucket list: The Missouri Breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go-i...ature=emb_logo

I think the RoG would be a comfortable platform to do all 149 miles in the Monument.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    A while back I was talking with Bedard about how I wanted to be able to remove the rig for some rowboat adventures. I wondered how it would row if i pulled out the centerboard and he suggested I make a simple skeg or foil for rowboat mode. So I've started on that.

I think the RoG would be a comfortable platform to do all 149 miles in the Monument.
    Wow. Just...wow. OK, then, thanks for this. Thank you VERY much.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I suspect the filmmakers went to great lengths to make it appear they were the only ones on the river. I see plenty of outfitters offering guided multi day trips, canoe rentals, shuttles etc. Mid season looks like it's quite crowded. But still, is that not some spectacular country?
    Name:  IMG_2417.JPG
Views: 768
Size:  83.2 KB
    My first time shaping a foil. The others were CNC cut.
    Name:  IMG_2445.JPG
Views: 737
Size:  76.0 KBName:  IMG_2450.JPG
Views: 722
Size:  83.3 KB
    It'll need something to hold it down. Bedard suggested a puck of lead so she'd bounce over a sandbar. I'm thinking some bungee line maybe.
    Name:  IMG_2372.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  82.5 KB
    I figured the cut off part of the centerboard (replaced with lead) would make a good lower draft, longer chord rowboat foil.
    Name:  IMG_2499.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  107.8 KB
    I guess I'll have to build some sort of foil caddy on the trailer.

Also,
    Name:  IMG_2553.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  97.1 KB
    AmphibiRog
    Wheels are in.

Tchoup, I’ve been enjoying seeing your progress. Thank you for posting. I’m curious about the foils, a subject I know very little about. Have you read anything about how to shape the trailing edges and the problem of vortex induced oscillations?
    Last edited by Dazzler; 11-13-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    Tom P.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post

That is a great video, I really enjoyed it. Thank you. You are really a fine wood worker, thanks for sharing that, too. What will be your first on the water adventure? I'd like to see THAT video.