Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Tchoup

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    That is a great video, I really enjoyed it. Thank you. You are really a fine wood worker, thanks for sharing that, too. What will be your first on the water adventure? I'd like to see THAT video.
    Me, too!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I don't know too much about that Tom but here is a detail from the plans. Vortex reducing angle?
    Name:  IMG_2555.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  75.4 KB
    The first adventure may indeed be a rowboat adventure. The masts are the most expensive component. And no offers on Starbuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    I don't know too much about that Tom but here is a detail from the plans. Vortex reducing angle?
    Name:  IMG_2555.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  75.4 KB
    The first adventure may indeed be a rowboat adventure. The masts are the most expensive component. And no offers on Starbuck.
    It looks like Bedard knows his stuff. I only learned of this issue recently ready a Bob Perry Fan Club Facebook post. It seems lots of study has been done on how to eliminate “flutter” in foils. Sharp or even rounded trailing edges create vortices. The detail you included eliminates the problem. Thanks for the clarification.

STARBUCK is a special boat. I hope someone see the potential.
    Tom P.

A while back I was talking with Bedard about how I wanted to be able to remove the rig for some rowboat adventures. I wondered how it would row if i pulled out the centerboard and he suggested I make a simple skeg or foil for rowboat mode. So I've started on that.

I think the RoG would be a comfortable platform to do all 149 miles in the Monument.
    Oars are an excellent option, but not as easy to implement in non-standard conditions. Rowboats, Dories, drift boats, and river rafts fall into the standard conditions. The oar options are plentiful. When the freeboard goes up, or the beam falls out of the standards range, off the shelf options are typically not available.

In putting two rowing stations on a Moore 24, one station was hung off the outboard motor mount using a sliding seat setup. The cockpit station required custom length oars, oarlocks (and mounts), as well as modifications to traveler to provide a seat.

The standard fixed seat rowing geometry (as presented in Angus Rowboats) is a good starting point. I also put oars on a canoe that was 'fussy' to row. I erred and only had 7-inches from seat to oarlock when 8-12 inches were suggested. A quick test with a 3/4-inch collar on the oarlock helped a lot, but 1 1/2-inches were be added for a more flexible solution.

With a 149 mile row, be sure to include heel supports and a comfortable seat.

My plans for the breaks in 2020 were delayed due to covid concerns.

General wind direction on the breaks is upstream.

Ants

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    It seems lots of study has been done on how to eliminate “flutter” in foils. Sharp or even rounded trailing edges create vortices.
    A way to solve flutter while also inducing vortex shedding is to set up a sharp edge on (say) the upper half of the foil to port, and reverse that sharp edge on the lower edge of the foil. I've seen this done as a knife edge on the keel and rudder with the keen edge set to port on half the foil and half way down there's a crossover and the edge is set to starboard. Be careful while diving to clean those foils as you can slice your fingers on them.

But then you have to ask yourself - isn't it nice to have that 8 knot hum in the system? The harmonics give you a built-in audio speedo. I like mine - I have a 9 knot hum and a 12 knot harmonic (which is when you have to rush upstairs to find out how in the hell the boat is going that fast - usually something bad, like a squall, as you surge down waves!).

- rob/beetle

I have just bought plans for a boat designed by the late Joe Dobler. -- "Lissa". Plans cost a lousy $20.

Name:  lissa-4.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  94a018802f8175f9eacc369b9ab662cc.gif
Views: 744
Size:  43.5 KB

I won't touch this until after the SHTP, if I even build this. I'm having to decide if this will work better for what I want to do, or the Caravelle that AZsailor so kindly sent me.

"Lissa" is 75% rowboat, 25% sailboat. The Caravelle is 90% sail, but you can row it a few hundred yards if you need to. After I get the Piper squared away, one of these will probably get built.

Thanks Rob. I'd like to have a hum.

Hey Ants, tell us about your Covid-denied Missouri Breaks trip. What boat were you taking?

Alan, I'm having fun keeping up with all of your boats. What does $20 get you exactly?

Thanks Rob. I'd like to have a hum.

Hey Ants, tell us about your Covid-denied Missouri Breaks trip. What boat were you taking?

Alan, I'm having fun keeping up with all of your boats. What does $20 get you exactly?
    You get a big zipped file with a bunch of PDF's an MS Word booklet and a mess of photos.

a bunch of pictures of the finished boat.
    a scan of a typed 24 page manual written in the early days of stitch 'n glue
    plans in "small" format
    plans in "large" format
    full sized patterns for the major hull parts.

Lissa, being rowed by one...

Name:  Dobler-Lissa-row.JPG
Views: 709
Size:  152.7 KB
    Last edited by AlanH; 11-19-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Several viable boat options are available. However, since it is a long drive to the Breaks, another 2-3.weeks would be added to fly fish some MT and WY waters. The dual purpose skews the boat selection.

First choice would be a Mini Mac 12 drift boat. Easily holds all gear and a cooler. This boat is the worse tracker of the three due to lack of keel and bottom rocker. Great for maneuvering in rivers.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1178
Size:  4.17 MB

The next two choices would be canoe with rowing modification or sea kayak.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1175
Size:  2.97 MB

The canoe would be second choice since it holds a cooler. Both offer much less windage. The canoe offers options to shift my butt around while I would have to complete several consecutive days in kayak before confirming my body would conform to extensive seating.

The drift boat weighs about 150 pounds, canoe about 70, and kayak around 45.

It also makes it easy to invite friends.

Ants
    Last edited by AntsUiga; 11-20-2020 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsUiga View Post
    It also makes it easy to invite friends. Ants
    Friends?