Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newb Alert!

Default Newb Alert!

Ahoy!

Long time sailor, first time poster

I'm Bryan and I grew up sailing in Southern California around Long Beach and San Pedro. My summers were spent on mooring balls in the various coves of Catalina Island. After a very long hiatus, I started taking classes at OCSC in Berkeley in 2019. When the pandemic made it impossible to charter J/24's, I bought my first boat in July 2020: a 1985 Ericson 32-3 named Rumour. I've been refitting her slowly over the past three years and sailing around the bay single-handed and with others.

Life changes, as it does, and I find myself spending full days working on the boat. I'm hopeful to get the boat and myself ready for single-handing to Hawaii and back in Summer 2024. If that doesn't work out, there's always coastal cruising and SHTP 2025. I just finished rebuilding the DC electrical on the boat and am currently replacing a leaky diesel tank. I have a plethora of projects ranging from updating standing rigging and installing wind vane steering... to sewing lee cloths and fixing leaking portholes. I'd like to get more time offshore as well, with others and solo.

I'm an active member on www.ericsonyachts.org and regularly document my projects on a blog there. Addicted to learning and safety. And I love helping others when the opportunity arises.

I will scan and lurk around the forums here a bit, but please feel free to introduce yourself with a "yar!" and any antidotes or advice you might have for me

Cheers!
    Bryan Reed
    Rumour, 1985 Ericson 32-3

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions."
    Sailing Rumour: YouTube / Instagram / Website

Welcome, Bryan. Good to see that you have found your way to the forum. And not a minute too soon. I have admired your electronics on Rumour, since you are only mere steps from my own boat on E Dock.

Name:  Christmas lights - Copy.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  557.2 KB

This admiration of your electronics acumen leads me to think that you might have the answer to my prayers: Why don't all my Christmas lights work?!!! The greens are bright, some of the blues work, most of them don't. It vexes me. I paid perfectly good $2.99 for this string at the local ACE hardware at last year's after Christmas sale. Do you think I should try to return them? If not, what the heck is going on?

Drawing from my vast experience with Christmas lights, I'll suggest that you should have bought the set that was $4.99 on sale. Two dollars makes a huge difference with Christmas lights.

Welcome Bryan! My boat is over on D dock. I used to be on E dock but I had to move so I could get stuff done.

Welcome Bryan

Hope to see you join us for some races!

Come to the end of year meeting at RYC this Sunday .
    All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence

Thanks for suggesting I sign in here Jackie! For the Christmas lights, simply replace all the bulbs with green. Surely, since the green bulbs are so bright this will really enhance your set. But, it also might attract Grinches.

Bob, good to e-meet ya. Would love to wander by and see your boat -- heard great things
    Bryan Reed

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from making bad decisions."

PSA: One hundred LEDs @Target are $4 cheaper than @Home Depot.

PSA = prostate-specific antigen?

You don't need that test. PSA = Public Service Announcement, silly.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the meeting Sunday due to prior plans. Hopefully, there's a way I can meet some of ya'll soon
    Bryan Reed

Someone looking remarkably similar to your photo here on your post was at the awards meeting Sunday.
    Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello.