Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Tchoup

I made most of the components for the centerboard trunk. This is really fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Where's the "Like" button?
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I made some graphite pads at the bearing surfaces of the centerboard and trunk.

Trying to remember why I'm doing all this. I just love this shot of the designers boat in Florida.Name:  RoGEC14.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  156.7 KB

There's a professional builder in France building a RoG for a Spanish client. They've made several changes to the design including no cockpit hatches, no mizzen thwart, no winch base (not sure how they intend to lift the keel), but most interestingly, a retractable sprit!

Kit boats are delightfully seductive with near instant progress.

As the old saying goes, the devil is in the details. In this case, sealing and finishing the parts.

I have no idea what is included for sealing and finishing in the assembly directions.

However, if you are interested in the best overall completion steps that include timely sealing and finishing, spend some time looking at the work efforts of Russell Brown of PT Watercraft. His efforts are impeccable and no lost time or effort is lost by sloppy or out-of-sequence sealing or finishing.

For example, panel are sealed or finished before assembly when it is easiest. Fillets are cleaned up when applied so little or no sanding is required. Different thickness sanding blocks are used to smooth epoxy to hull shape.

Some of the material is available as books or PDF books from Brown. I found a set of videos on the (for pay) Off Center Harbor website.

If I had seen the material earlier, the time I could have saved and the better end product!

Just a suggestion.

Ants

Sort of takes me back to balsa model airplane kit building days. In a giant way, of course. Lots of pieces of wood, exotic chemicals (model airplane glue and banana oil smelling Testor's paint), bits of metal, tissue covering. I hope it floats better than most of those airplanes flew! ;-) Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    There's a professional builder in France building a RoG for a Spanish client. They've made several changes to the design including no cockpit hatches, no mizzen thwart, no winch base (not sure how they intend to lift the keel), but most interestingly, a retractable sprit!
    Oh, that's Arwen marine! They also make a modified version of the CLC Skerry, as well as bunch of other smaller, stitch and glue, trad inspired plywood boats.

1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Dude even has the same tow vehicle as I.

Thanks Ants, I know Russel Brown's stuff. I would love to build a PT Spear someday. And i recently read his book on rolling Interthanes Perfection and NOT tipping. Amazing results!