Thread: 3 Bridge Fiasco Newby Questions

Default 3 Bridge Fiasco Newby Questions

Hello,

I am signing up for the 3 Bridge, and I realized I don't know anything at all except how to sail. Where is the start line? Is there a map of the course? If I race J24 one design, am I limited in what sails I can use? Is it a mass start or are there separate fleets? I really appreciate any help on this. I'm sure it will all get easier as the season progresses, but for all the racing I've done, I have very little experience skippering during a race.

Take care,

Geoff

I could answer your questions but let me ask you a question first. Are you sure you want to do this as your first race?

This is one of the rounding marks during last year's 3BF:

Name:  3BF 2023 Blackaller.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  904.3 KB

Wow. That looks fun. As I have no illusions of placing well, I'll just not go near anything that looks like that!

Sometimes you find the crowd; sometimes the crowd finds you. Regardless, we needed to round that mark. It's in there somewhere.

You need to know at least the fundamental racing rules and according to the SSS NOR, your boat needs to be insured "with valid third-party liability insurance."

If you haven't raced before you probably don't have a 2023 or 2024 PHRF rating certificate. That's okay for the 3BF but you must race in accordance with the J24 Class rules, including OD sails. See 2.1.5:

https://jibeset.net/racedoc/JACKY/T005347597/nbrd_0.pdf

Based on last year, you'll cross the starting line in front of the Golden Gate Yacht Club at 9:33:36. This is based on your boat's OD rating of 168. If you're early you'll be tagged with an automatic 20-minute penalty. You'll need to race double-handed (you and one crew member) to be in your J24 one-design group, which needs to have at least five boats to avoid getting a PHRF certificate.

As to the course, etc. I suggest you read last year's Sailing Instructions, since this year's aren't posted yet. Also, be sure to attend the Skippers' Meeting (Zoom).

https://jibeset.net/racedoc/JACKY/T002368094/si.pdf

Good luck.

Hello, Gluttrell.

I'll second what BobJ posted.

But let me add that the rounding you see in his picture has boats going in BOTH directions. This is not a race where you and everyone else will round clockwise (or counter clockwise), you'll probably find some people going the other way. Which can add excitement.

There's also a bit of a melee at the start, because waves of up to 39 boats are trying to start at 63 second intervals. And they're starting in both directions. Often in a fair bit of current and not much wind.

You are the best person to know what you can and can't handle, so don't let me discourage you if you think about all this and are sure you'll be fine.

In addition to this year's NOR and last year's SIs, I encourage looking at last year's competitor's meeting slides. You'll find them on the Jibeset page for last year's race, and I'd like to think they're helpful.

All that said, you'll need to know THIS YEARS Sailing Instructions when those come out. And attending the skipper's meeting is a good idea: that will be on zoom at 1930 on the Wednesday before the race, and I'll send out the invitations sometime Tuesday evening to people registered by then.

BobJ is also correct that you do not need to have a 2024 PHRF cert for this race if you are sailing a J/24 in one-design configuration---and it's your responsibiity to read the J/24 class rules and confirm that. But the very next race WILL require a 2024 PHRF certificate, so please save yourself, and YRA, some last-minute stress by getting one of those ASAP.

If you race, good luck. If you'd like to watch, I can use more RC volunteers.

Richard
    SSS Race (co-)Chair