Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Tchoup

Hey Jackie Phillpot you know what? With the open cabin top, Plein Air could be a great name for this boat. Thanks.
    send pics from Hanalei.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

yes Plein Air is a lot better than Al Fresco. Or "Topless". That would be a good name for a powerboat.

72 lbs of lead attached to 4 lbs of cedar. Crazy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well there has been some progress over here at the RoG shop. I secured a pump from solosailor and I did the first vacuum bag on the rudder. Two layers of 12oz biax. Results: a solid mediocre. I went through a lot of trouble to make the bag help fold over the edges of the cloth. This was mostly a failure. But I learned a lot.

The second bag went much better. Instead of bagging it to the table I made an envelope and was able to get good wrap around all the edges. I also switched to the Stretchlon vacuum bag.
    Next a coat of epoxy to fill the weave and on to QuickFair.

Other progress includes securing 60 BF of old growth, straight grain western red cedar (described as aircraft grade) from Mount Storm Forest Products in Windsor.

I'll need this for all kinds of pieces of this boat. But, because I'm kind of building this thing backwards, first up will be the wishbone booms!
    Richard of "The Can" milled beautiful 1/8" strips at his shop. He thinks this tree must have been over 200 years old. It's beautiful stuff and crazy light!

Other progress includes securing 60 BF of old growth, straight grain western red cedar (described as aircraft grade) from Mount Storm Forest Products in Windsor.
    What's that for?

I took a bunch of photos of mostly Wyliecat booms and sat down to draw a shape I could bend in the cedar. During a slow day at work I made a pattern on the floor of the camera truck

Here’s the test layup: 7 layers of 1/8″ cedar with a 2″ strip of 4oz and a 2″ strip of 90z uni carbon inside the end pieces.