Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: New Boat 4 Tchoup

Pat,
    I flew control line planes with my Dad back when. I wonder if anyone still does that. I'm sure RC is fun but being connected to that angry thing was a blast.
    Did you have accelerator? Something the designer turned me onto. Great for tacking up the hatch coamings before filleting.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

illtypeyoubackwhenigetmyfingersunglued.;-)

I mostly built rubber motor and sail planes. We lived in the country and my flying field was shared with cow pies, gophers, and a few cows who didn't like their territory intruded on. I do miss chewing orange Ambroid's glue chunks off my fingers. There are the long-rotted remains of quite few planes in the woods upwind from the field. I suspect all that remains are those chunks of orange glue. And the pennies i used for nose weights. Could they be collector's items 65+ years later? The next time I visit up that way I might take a metal detector.

Go find those pennies Pat.

I had sprit envy from the French boat. So I built a sprit. Turned out pretty good. Mine will be removeable, but not retractable. That'll keep all the bury in the anchor locker. I'm hoping it won't need a bobstay but I'll build a reinforcement in the bow knuckle just in case. The spinnaker hook reinforcement in the mast is fairly low so it's for flying a small spinnaker, or a stay-less jib.
    Stephen
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Here's a question I've been wondering about that I don't know the answer to, so I won't be offering any ice cream but, is there any design that places an offset sprit on the port side of the boat? Why all starboard?
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
    Here's a question I've been wondering about that I don't know the answer to, so I won't be offering any ice cream but, is there any design that places an offset sprit on the port side of the boat? Why all starboard? Stephen
    Hi Stephen,
    Sprits have been offset to starboard since the 16th century...back then they were also angled upward about 50 degrees. Here's JOLIE BRISE, probably the most famous English race boat of the early 20th century.

Name:  JOLIEBRISE4.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  197.8 KB Name:  JOLIEBRISE2.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  150.1 KB

My guess for modern, retractable sprits like on a Melges 24 or J-105 is that most windward mark roundings are left to port with the crew hiked to starboard. It is therefore a more direct lead for the retractor line for the spirt coming aft from the starboard bow and keeps the sprit visible and out of harms way if there's an overlapped boat to leeward.

Name:  melges24.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  66.6 KB

What, no ice cream?

How many layers and what weight cloth in the layup for the sprit? Vacuum bag?

Quote Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
    My guess for modern, retractable sprits like on a Melges 24 or J-105 is that most windward mark roundings are left to port with the crew hiked to starboard.
    Yes, exactly this. Port roundings into a bear-away set. Most OD classes have rules about when the sprit can be extended and how quickly it must be retracted. There's not much time and you need to be able to see it from the windward side. Also, on Rags if I put my weight to leeward to pull the extender line I was more likely to broach. The tack line was on starboard for the same reason.

Name:  SSS 2017 Corinthian.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  2.11 MB

Starboard it is. But more for the 16th century thing than the bear away set.
    Jonathan I was afraid someone would ask that. I think it was one sleeve of 6oz fiberglass, one sleeve of 5.8 carbon biax, two sleeves of 9oz carbon uni, then one sleeve of 5.8. No vacuum bag but lots of peel ply, breather cloth and packing tape.

I bet you'd have been just fine with wood, but ooooh, la-la...seXy!
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"