Thread: Gybing

Default Gybing

You're all familiar with the main-first gybing method. It was first taught to me by a Figaro sailor. I just ran across this really good video about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j5ec7PP87s&t=3s

What I've always pushed is the idea that for short term situations, it's not necessary to shift the pole. By keeping the tweakers down tight you can continue to sail with the pole on the leeward side. I do this nearly every time I sail in short term situations. It works better the higher the winds. The spinnaker holds rock solid in 20 knots.

I've heard that in crewed Transpac races, the more aggressive racers actually gybe back and forth to stay inside each squall for as long as possible. What I've described above is the way that a singlehander could do this; normally you'd be sailing with the pole on the port side. Now, when a squall come up on your starboard side, you can pole-less gybe into the squall for 5 minutes, then gybe back again 5 minutes later, and go back and forth always staying inside the squall without ever moving the pole.

Yes, it will take lots of guts and lots of pre-race practice to do this at 2 in the morning, but just imagine the long periods of planing you can achieve.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
    You're all familiar with the main-first gybing method. What I've always pushed is the idea that for short term situations, it's not necessary to shift the pole. By keeping the tweakers down tight you can continue to sail with the pole on the leeward side. It works better the higher the winds. The spinnaker holds rock solid in 20 knots.When a squall comes up on your starboard side, you can pole-less gybe into the squall for 5 minutes, then gybe back again 5 minutes later, and go back and forth always staying inside the squall without ever moving the pole.

Yes, it will take lots of guts and lots of pre-race practice to do this at 2 in the morning, but just imagine the long periods of planing you can achieve. Andy
    Andy is correct, and this is a good technique in the right conditions....At night, in big Pacific swells, it becomes risky. A round-up to windward puts the pole in the water, possibly bringing down the mast.

I like Andy's technique when running hard under poled out jib. In an oh-dark-thirty squall that clocks the wind 15-25 degrees, one can jibe the main and leave the jib poled out to leeward until the squall passes, then jibe the main back and carry on. Poleing out a jib to leeward works a treat as long as the AWA >140 degrees.

I've been meaning to pop the spinnaker more .... Every time I go to Santa Cruz and the forecast calls for light wind ... I end up beating in 20+ kts. I guess ... I'll just have to trust the process ... and the auto-tiller ... and pop the spinnaker in following seas. I find that if I put the boat slightly off the swell/wind waves the auto-tiller can't manage well. Maybe that'll work ...

Or maybe I can start with Skip's suggestion: beat up 20+ with the #4 or 3. When turning around I can make it an exercise to change to a larger head sail downwind and see how much fun that would be. Then pole that out ...

I'd like to better understand the process to pole out the head sail. Is it as simple as (which is what I did the one time I tried with a #2 in 5 kts AWS): go on a run to bring the jib to the windward side, catch the jib sheet with the spinnaker pole, secure the pole to the mast and crank the windward jib sheet in? Or ...

At night, in big Pacific swells, it becomes risky.
    :-) That's where the "lots of guts and lots of practice" part comes in.

With all the times I've done this technique, I've never had a broach or even come close. Perhaps because I'm concentrating so hard on steering it is just not happening. I do believe that an autopilot can not adequately manage a tiller to keep the spinnaker full for an extended period with the pole on the wrong side. But certainly worth practicing.

Andy, good discussion generated.

War Path Olson 30 also jibes the main first and I have tried it Express 27 in the Bay in light to moderate winds, but the results are not as good (possible because of our smaller fractionally rigged kites and larger main).

For oceans, the comparatively tender Express with the large swells on my tail, in a strong squall, a round up with the pole on the leeward side is very high risk. Hawaii bound in the stronger squalls, about 1 out of 5, I hand steered because I was faster and rounded up less than the RayMarine X5 AP.

The Transpac seminars always talk about of jibing back and forth just "in front" of the squalls, but these are significantly faster, very experienced crewed boats. Staying inside a squall for a while can be immensely enjoyable, but VMG will suffer since the squalls are headed above Hawaii.

But like you, I like to experiment with things. For example, I wanted to see what happens if you don't exit a squall on port tack, so I stayed on starboard and was overtaken with light winds at the back end. Wasn't as bad as I expected, but on a heavier, non planing boat, it would suck. Another time, I decided NOT to jibe out of a strong squall and let it carry me for a half hour. It was the longest 30 minute sled ride I have ever had and worth the extra fun miles. But, out of both these events, I really know why salty pac racers echo the refrain, "exit stage left" or port tack in squall.

Thanks for keeping your book pdf free on the SSS site, http://sfbaysss.org/main/resources/. I enjoying going back to it from time to time. I am gonna splurge for a real copy this summer at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071836535. Does it have any updates from the original I downloaded in 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    War Path Olson 30 also jibes the main first

Thanks for keeping your book pdf free on the SSS site, http://sfbaysss.org/main/resources/. I enjoying going back to it from time to time. I am gonna splurge for a real copy this summer at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071836535. Does it have any updates from the original I downloaded in 2012?
    Thanks as well for the book ... That's really the one document that got me informed about single handed sailing. The first thing I recall retaining is all the stuff about the man ... Thank you and I'd be happy to help with anything as I'm currently unemployed and do have spare time here and there.

Good to know about that Olson 30 as well ... I'll jibe main first ... when ever I pop the spinnaker. I was out this weekend and didn't do it ... Not ready I guess ... It's not yet about "balls" for me, more experience is needed first.

Where can I read more about about ""exit stage left" or port tack in squall." I'm not following ...

Stan Honey and Skip Allen have provided a lot of great weather info, including squall strategies:

https://pacificcup.org/content/stan-...weather-advice

http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/sht...skip-allen.pdf

Does it have any updates from the original I downloaded in 2012?
    Yes, about 40,000 extra words on really important stuff. And of course professionally edited and printed.
    And don't forget to read the paper I wrote on meal planning for improved performance in singlehanded sailing, elsewhere in these forums.