Thread: Looking for a wheel adaptor for Monitor windvane or similar

Default Looking for a wheel adaptor for Monitor windvane or similar

Just now installing the Monitor I bought used over a year ago from a friend of Jackie's, but it didn't come with the wheel adaptor. Does anyone have a spare one lying about that they'd like to sell? Let me know soon!

Thanks

Carliane

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Just now installing the Monitor I bought used over a year ago from a friend of Jackie's, but it didn't come with the wheel adaptor. Does anyone have a spare one lying about that they'd like to sell? Let me know soon! Thanks
    Carliane
    Bill sold Pristine, moved to Seattle and bought a huge motor boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Bill sold Pristine, moved to Seattle and bought a huge motor boat!
    Oh no, the dark side. Seriously?! Tell him I said hello and hope he's doing well. Seattle is not a bad spot to land with a power boat

The Monitor that came to me with Morning Star was accompanied by quite a collection of spares. I haven't looked in that bag in a while, and don't recall if a spare wheel adapter is part of the kit -- but it might be. If you can stand the wait, I'll look when I next visit the boat on July 1.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Lee, that is so nice of you to offer. Thank you very much, but another SSS member came through and had an adaptor from a boat he had sold. I hope to pay it forward soon with some gear to offer for free. This is such a supportive forum and an amazing group of sailors.

Excellent. Enjoy sailing with the Monitor. It just seems like poetry to have the boat not only propelled by the wind, but also steered by the wind. To say nothing of the blessed silencing of the autopilot!

The only real trouble I had was with the "Monitor special knot" the book describes as the way to connect the control lines to the lines coming off the wheel adapter. I ditched those in favor of something called the CamJam XT made by NiteIze. It is essentially a carabiner-type clip on a cam cleat, through which a paracord line is run. I tie the paracord to the holes on the adapter, run the line through the cam cleat, and clip on to a loop knot tied in the control line. I can then pull the free end of the paracord to tension the control lines, or ease the line with a thumb latch on the cam cleat.

When finished sailing with the Monitor, I can slip the CamJams off the paracord, and stow the cords by wrapping them on the adapter. One less set of lines to tie when setting up again.

Name:  DSC03054.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  2.77 MB
    Name:  DSC03062.JPG
Views: 688
Size:  2.78 MB
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Lee, just seeing your post now (something must be wrong with the SSS "new posts" button). Thank you for this suggestion!! I like it a lot and will look into doing this. Right now. I just ran a continuous line to the wheel adaptor and made myself remember to step over the lines (after a few, ahem, missteps). Now to just figure out how to make the Monitor work under sail...

. . . Now to just figure out how to make the Monitor work under sail...
    The manual is good, but it is a little difficult to understand until you see things in operation. Sail with someone who uses a Monitor if you get the chance. You might think about starting a thread on vane sailing under the general discussion board to let us know how it's going. I'm sure there are people with a lot more experience than me who could weigh in with some good advice.

Good luck!
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Lee, just seeing your post now (something must be wrong with the SSS "new posts" button). Thank you for this suggestion!! I like it a lot and will look into doing this. Right now. I just ran a continuous line to the wheel adaptor and made myself remember to step over the lines (after a few, ahem, missteps). Now to just figure out how to make the Monitor work under sail...
    Practice makes perfect....
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

For me it's all about the right balance between the point of sail as set by the pulley adjustment and the right amount of weather helm set by getting the pin in the right hole on the wheel adapter.

Bill
    Dolfin, Pacific Seacraft 37