Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EPIRB set off by SHTP racer

Excellent news. Thanks for posting.
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

What do we do to mitigate the situation? You ask...that assumes that some mitigation is both possible and necessary.

Is mitigation possible? No, I don't think so. Human nature being what it is, one doesn't know when one reaches his/her limits until in the situation. Basically, finding the "edge of the envelope" for you, personally. That's why a lot of us single-hand::to find the edge; to keep putting pressure on ourselves and our abilities to find out what we can do...sometimes that means finding out what we can't do.

Is mitigation necessary? I also don't think so for this question. Look at the facts. All racers either finished (or will assuming Rueben continues his plod) or returned safely in both this race and previous ones.

FWIW, I understand why you feel you were "attacked", but your original post did give the appearance that you were not in favor of people risking themselves for an "event". That was just not smart (or politically correct) when you are posting to a forum that is read by devotees of the experience and "event".
    Respectfully, Thom

SeaRail 19, SriRacha

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stodieck View Post
    http://www.ktvu.com/news/16991904/de...=fran&psp=news
    These repeated coast guard panic calls could end the SHTP.
    Gee, these repeated coast guard panic calls could end all sailboat racing in Southern California:

Closer calls than ours!

Dogbark leaves Hanalei today and several more leave tomorrow, including Ragtime!, Warriors Wish, Alchera and others. There will still be SHTP boats here to greet Sparky though. (GO SPARKY!)

We're looking forward to seeing you in 2-3 weeks. We will resume check-ins at 0900 and 2100 (HST not PDT). I'll e-mail some log entries too, but I don't know if anyone will be posting them. We had a return log and position reports in 2006. It would be nice for our families and assorted groupies if someone was willing to step up and get the data on the site during the return trip.

A big thanks to Timo and others who kept the data flowing during the race!

I am fighting the urge to re-hash ancient history and go over, again, why I called the CG in 2004. Suffice it to say that I called not because I feared for my safety (had no engine but had sails and handheld GPS and charts) but rather because I had no electrical system, all my small batteries were gone and I could not light up the boat. I could hear fishing boats around me and considered myself a hazard to navigation, since I was totally becalmed and could not maneuver.

I told them I was a hazard to navigation and had no lights, and THEY offered to come out and get me. It was actually kind of funny, they offered, then I told them where I was (about 30 miles away from Morro Bay) and the guy on the radio (I was using my handheld) realized how long a trip it would be. They came out anyway, and the deck officer said it was good training....they clearly had some new folks on the boat.....and he was glad to do it.

I've been sailing for about 20 years and that is the only time I've ever "requested assistance" from the coasties. BTW, it did NOT require the use of a C-130 airplane. It was also the most humiliating experience of my boating career, but I'm not sorry I did it and I bet the guys fishing around me and who didn't plow into me at midnight aren't sorry, either.

The topic is not one that makes me happy, and I think I've discussed it ad nauseum in other posts both here and on Sailing Anarchy. The information is out there if anyone wants to find it. I'd appreciate it if people would move on to another topic.

Thank you.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"