Thread: SSB and backstay question

Default SSB and backstay question

OK, this is probably stupid but I'm going to ask it, anyway because I really don't know the answer.

Is there any reason to not use about a foot of spectra between the masthead and a wire backstay as an SSB insulator?

I mean we could all spend lots of boat bucks for those fancy insulators, or...like...$40 for 20 inches of spectra with two eyes spliced into the ends.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I'm no expert, but I've heard that whatever is being used as an antenna for SSB can get pretty hot during TX.

Hot enough to melt dynamo / spectra ? I don't know.

Maybe someone else does.

I hope to have SSB for SHTP, and wondered if I could just run some wire through and old headstay foil attached to the backstay for an antenna.

I used spectra as the bottom of my backstay/antenna. I can't think of any reason why not to use it as the top as well. (I did have an insulator at the top on FM).

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I'm no expert, but I've heard that whatever is being used as an antenna for SSB can get pretty hot during TX.

Hot enough to melt dynamo / spectra ? I don't know.

Maybe someone else does.

I hope to have SSB for SHTP, and wondered if I could just run some wire through and old headstay foil attached to the backstay for an antenna.
    Most of the backstay standoff setups I've seen are significantly farther than the width of a headstay foil.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"