Thread: DeLorme Trackers

Default DeLorme Trackers

Ahoy! Don't forget to synch your device before the race to make sure you've got the latest firmware and contacts etc.
    Cheers,
    W32 Tortuga

I've added a few people lately, so I'm getting practice ��

Just wondering ... Who do you rent trackers from for the race?
    I have an Iridium GO but the Sim card is more then renting a SPOT ...

I don't think anyone is renting for this event.

I purchased my Delorme last year. Price is 450 at that popular marine supplier, the service plan runs me 25-30 a month.
    Better prices can be found if you check around or wait for a sale / rebate.

My wife and friends can see where I am at, as long as I turn it on, and communicate when out of cellular range.

It gives her more peace of mind. Priceless.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 07-01-2017 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Just wondering ... Who do you rent trackers from for the race?
    I have an Iridium GO but the Sim card is more then renting a SPOT ...
    I have the Iridium Go as well. Although it is a bit of a hassle, I have been buying a new sim card from Satphone store when I want to activate for a race. It costs about $65 delivered. Then you pay a month service for unlimited data/test at $126. All in the cost is about $200 (more of course if you go for more months). If you want to re-activate an existing sim it is $250. You still have to pay for service. I don't know why they do it that way but buying a new sim seems a reasonable way to go. You get a new phone number each time which may turn some people off.

The nice thing about the delorme is you show up on the race tracker if you give the race committee the IMEI number. So I go with the delorme AND the Go.
    There is a lot of configuring in my opinion. I want to make sure it all still works and I have some comms practice leading up to the 2018 SHTP

I now have the same setup as Mike. Used a Iridium Go for the SHTP, but after seeing the 250$ reactivation fee I decided to buy an inReach for the LongPac. If I had more time I would of ordered a new SIM.

For those looking for a Delorme, West Marine has the Delorme inReach SE on discount for 230$. You'll most likely have to have one transferred to the store near you (there's limited stock left) but it beats $400 for the new Garmin version.

I was pleasantly surprised over the past few days. I received the new SIM card and the Iridium Go came right up and interfaced immediately with my tablet and phone...That is a first. It just worked ... for a change. I had to fart around with the phone, tablet, and Go for several days to get it all working smoothly prior to the SHTP.

On a slightly related note, I wonder if the 10 new Iridium spacecraft launched by SpaceX a couple of months ago have been put in service to enhance the legacy constellation? There was also a more recent launch of ten satellites from Vandenberg but I would imagine those new spacecraft are still in test at this point.

Anyway, getting pretty good coverage at this point. Assuming successful launches going forward, Iridium should be bulletproof by 2018 SHTP.

I'm just gonna say it like that ... I'm planning to do my qualifying cruise early August ... if anyone will be left with a SIM card for the Iridium GO after the LongPac ... and felt like sharing ... well, I wouldn't mind avoiding a $200 cost. I'd pay a pro-rated compensation fee ... Voila ... said it ... Nothing to see ...