Thread: LongPac RC Start

Default LongPac RC Start

SSS, here was a pic of your humble race deck (or chair) start for the LongPac Name:  RCStart.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  403.2 KB Race. With GGYC closed for the start, Kristen checked racers in as retired Commodore Al and new sss member Phillipe (Olson 30) were on flags. SHTP chair & SHTP vet Brian B was hitting the high notes on the horn, and Commodore Dave was on the shotgun. All went well until after the start as we were doing high fives, when two SFPD cruisers with lights flashing roar up. Yep, someone called in a man with a gun shooting at the breakwater. Good news is we were able to keep your Commodore Dave out of the clink for another race….

Quote Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post
    SSS, here was a pic of your humble race deck (or chair) start for the LongPac Name:  RCStart.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  403.2 KB Race. With GGYC closed for the start, Kristen checked racers in as retired Commodore Al and new sss member Phillipe (Olson 30) were on flags. SHTP chair & SHTP vet Brian B was hitting the high notes on the horn, and Commodore Dave was on the shotgun. All went well until after the start as we were doing high fives, when two SFPD cruisers with lights flashing roar up. Yep, someone called in a man with a gun shooting at the breakwater. Good news is we were able to keep your Commodore Dave out of the clink for another race….
    Bad boy, bad boy. Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

A long time ago I was Race Director at the Sausalito Cruising Club (remember them?). We used a member's 6-pack party fishing boat for the committee boat. It had a fly bridge from which we shot guns and hoisted flags. The Coast Guard had recently moved to Horseshoe Cove and used Richardson Bay to train its new "safety check boarding" recruits. So, one evening we got things started when two inflatables showed up, packed with 19-year olds and two crusty CPOs, all equipped with clipboards. They jammed the cockpit and took their time going through things. Since it was "commercial" boat, the list was long and each recruit had to ask the same questions and fill out his/her individual form. Pretty soon the first racers began to approach the Finish Line. I asked the CPO in charge if we could go to the fly bridge and finish the boats. I forgot to say we used a shotgun to welcome each division's first boat to finish. I think you know where I'm going with this. Blam! The helmsmen on the two inflatables which had been standing off waiting zoomed up, automatic weapons trained on the flybridge. Handguns in the cockpit were pointed up the steps. Things got sorted out and we managed to finish all the boats, but without further black powder. The skipper passed, the boat passed, and no no one was shot in the process. And the SCC saved a few precious dollars in shells. I can image the scene in front of the GGYC this morning.

In the long-gone past (like maybe 2009 when I did pre-race inspections and was on the RC) we were able to berth a "big boat" with a masthead VHF at the GGYC for about 4-5 days as a crash pad for RC members. I seem to recall someone with a camper on the back of their pickup truck, parking right outside the GGYC, as well.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

John Woodworth did bring his boat Owl over to GGYC Thursday after the Wed start and it is on station for our finishers now....Many thanks to John...and GGYC for the extended slip...

Too funny! I always wonder how the neighbors feel about the shotgun blasts early on Saturday mornings