Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SSB Radio Check

I will be trying to see if my rig works as well. I will be in the Santa Barbara Channel near Oxnard.

Thanks, Jeff and Rob. Looks like we've got a quorum. Looking forward to it.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

No contact, can we try again in the morning?

I could just barely hear someone calling morning star. Not sure who it was.
    Jeff

I'm game to try in the morning. I'll still be at this anchorage until 1100 or so. Let me know what works for you.

Here's what I was able to hear tonight:

4A - someone responded, but all I could make out was that they were trying to reach Morning Star, and they were calling from Ventura Harbor. Don't know who that was.

8A - nothing heard.

6A - someone from Washington State responded. I asked if it was Jeff, they said no. I think they said they were in Bellevue, but not sure. Couldn't make out anything else. Don't know who that was.

12A - think I could hear someone trying to respond to Morning Star, but couldn't really make out anything. Don't know who or where calling from.

On all four channel there was quite a bit of static. Don't know if that was a transitory thing or inherent in this location. Closest marinas are nearly 1/2 mile away, so I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem. I'll try calling WLO tomorrow on the sail back to SD, and I'll try listening on these same channels while at sea, to try and determine if this was just a bad location to have selected.

Oh well. Can't say it was a big success, but I don't consider tonight a failure. This is why we test and practice and run drills.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I was in the middle of a jibe from 4a to 6a, but tried to hail Morning Star on 12a. I must sit still next time.

I enjoyed getting out and playing with the ssb even though we didn't have contact. Im happy to give it another try soon.
    Jeff

How do you make a call if your interested in talking to anyone that can here you? I mean on the ssb. When used the chat on the ham bands you say cq cq etc.
    Jeff

Can we try this again?

On Sunday, October 22, I will take Morning Star off shore from San Diego, looking to get clear of sources of radio interference. I will have crew to keep watch, and we will heave to somewhere outside the 3 nm line west of Point Loma. With batteries fully charged and engine off, we will try ship-to-ship communication over the SSB once again.

The plan at the moment (open to all suggestions) is to call out for anyone listening on the following frequencies and times:

4A (4.146 MHz) at 1500
    8A (8.294 MHz) at 1505
    6A (6.224 MHz) at 1510
    12A (12.353 MHz) at 1515

All channels are simplex in USB mode; all times PDT. Morning Star’s call sign is WDI5764.

Interested? Let me know. If we have a group, we could practice a roll call as if we were racing. The attached would be a good template to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

I'm in, will be in the Santa Barbara Channel, near Oxnard.