Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your project list?

Default What's your project list?

Everybody has a project list, right?

1.) replace the lens in the forward hatch. I stepped on it a few weeks ago and cracked it and then George went clean though. Today I cut the piece of lexan-epoxy-bonded-to-smoked-acrylic to size and rounded the corners. The lens goes in with black silicon spooge on Saturday (tomorrow).

2.) ditch the *squeeze* backstay adjuster and replace with an 8:1 cascading system. I think I'm gonna use Garhauer anodized aluminum blocks for this. They're heavy but I like 'em and they're beefcake.

Is 8:1 enough? Well, I can easily one-handed pull a 70 pound steady-pressure pull. Easy-peasy-- I mean I pull two-handed 200 pound cable pulls at the gym, 3 x 8 or 3 x 10 all the time. OK, 70 x 8 = 560 pounds. So I can put at least 560 pounds of tension on my backstay with this setup. Seems like enough.

3.) clean the foam backing off the inside of the boat. When I got it, the previous owner had applied ultra-cheap-and-tacky foam backed cloth to the inside of the hull and cabintop. It was a playing ground for mold, so I tore it off within weeks of purchasing the boat, but large trails and blobs of foam remain stuck to the inside, looking butt-ugly. That's gotta go. S-2's glasswork is good enough to just be painted.

4.) autopilot... waiting on Brian to knock out my very own Pelagic

5.) New rudder. The stock rudder from Graham and Schlageter is a monster. It's freaking immense, from rudder head to the very bottom it's almost 7 feet tall. It's *very" balanced, there's a LOT of rudder in front of the axis of rotation and the thing is absurdly thick, like 3 inches. It weighs about 80 pounds. It's also a kick-up job, which is great if you sail in places where the water gets really skinny but not needed here.

This rudder never loads up. I mean, *Never*. It never requires work to turn. We can be totally out of control and spin out and I've got three fingers on the tiller. I figure that there's no S-2 7.9 One Design activity here, so no reason to stick with the stock rudder. The guys in Puget Sound who did a doublehanded Pac Cup in 1998 on one recommended NOT taking the stock rudder to Hawaii. They tried, and busted it in 1996 about 200 miles out. They had Jim Betts build them a custom job. I think I'll go with Phils Foils/Custom Composites. They can make a wood core, 16-inch chord, semi-balanced, semi-elliptical rudder with one layer of carbon, one layer of glass, and NACA 0015 foil for an only slightly shocking price.
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-04-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

I have a project coming up that I'm dreading. After the 2008 SHTP I did a pretty complete refit, including removing every bit of deck hardware, fixing some wet core and repainting the nonskid. I cheaped out and went with rolled-on gelcoat (w/nonskid "beads") instead of Awlgrip. (Yep - the one time I cheaped out on Rags!)

Roll forward eight years: The port side and foredeck is looking pretty thin and it really needs to be repainted. To do it right means again removing all the deck hardware, etc. Ugh!

Nothing urgent, but ...
    1. I really ought to do something about non-skid. I never seem to have a problem, but I've seen crew sliding around.
    2. Build a smaller, more hydrodynamic, better balanced E-rudder. My cassette and transom bracket are adequate if ugly, but the blade is a horror. Some of you have seen it. And I've never found a great place to store it on the boat ... which is moderately important.
    3. Find a place to mount the SSB that I borrowed from Scott Prusso for the 2010 SHTP and bought from him last year - thanks Scott! Last time it was low over the quarter berth, making the berth unusable.
    4. Get a few more of the cabin lights working again.
    5. I'd really like to replace the big water tank under the V berth with two smaller ones under the settees, to balance the boat better and to be legal for ... shumytpehrmyen or whatever ... without carrying jerry jugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Critter View Post
    to be legal for ... shumytpehrmyen or whatever
    Is that the word you use when you don't want the Admiral to know what you're talking about? I notice it contains the right letters in the correct order. I may adopt that word.

My small project list is pretty minor, replace halyards, better storage in interior, etc. My long term (before any attempt at SHTP or qualifier) is pull mast, remove and check chainplates, survey and replace standing rigging as needed and maybe drop keel and re-seat with new keel bolts. I don't know that any Olson 29s have ever had keel problems but she is 30 years old!

The hatch lens is in and spooged in place. I also discovered that I could pretty easily separate my test pieces. I'd epoxied a 16 x 16 piece of 1/8th smoked acrylic onto a 16 x 16 piece of 1/4 inch lexan, then trimmed to the 15 3/4 in each direction that I needed. We shall see, I suppose.

While I was down there, the Russian guy with the yellow J-24 two boats down from mine was there with a couple of his buddies, pressure washing their deck. He very kindly declined the $20 I offered and let me use his pressure washer on my decks. All the deep gunk...dirt, moss, embedded hawk poop from all the years at Moss Landing in dry storage, that was embedded in the anti-skid is now gone. Regular scrubbing with soap and water didn't take it off but the pressure washer did. YAY! I have clean white decks again.

shumytpehrmyen...

New desert sailboat rating system....

I can't even pronounce that.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    2.) ditch the *squeeze* backstay adjuster and replace with an 8:1 cascading system.
    You might look at the Wichard manual backstay adjusters. I put the wheel adjuster on my S-2 8.6 and really loved it. No problem turning the wheel to tension things up. Liked it so much, in fact, that I recently installed the same model on Morning Star, even though she's a bigger boat with a much stouter rig than my S-2. It takes more heft to tighten it up, but not a problem. Should be easy to turn on the 7.9.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Is that the word you use when you don't want the Admiral to know what you're talking about? I notice it contains the right letters in the correct order. I may adopt that word.
    More like, I wanted to drop a hint without raising expectations. Hard to sneak anything past an accountant!

I had one of these on my Santana 3030 and liked it. Hmmmm. It would require putting on another chainplate, tho. The 7.9's chainplates are very widely spaced on the transom. Still, might be doable.