Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's your project list?

Wow, where to start? Is this the must-do-before-TransPac list or the it-shur-would-look-purdy-to-do-that list? For the former, it includes installing the SSB that I bought from Doug off Foxfyre, upgrade to a bigger alternator, install solar panels, add a couple of sailing displays, add more handholds, rebed all port lights and hatches, and install a couple more winches. I ripped out the headliner last year and have been thinking about this one, too. Will probably paint white as I like having access to the through bolts, and may also install a strip of LEDs at the wood interface to bring more light into the boat because I liveaboard, but not sure if that might turn it into the Good Ship Lollipop....

"... the Good Ship Lollipop" : Nice minds-eye image, but I doubt the GSL could have done the LongPac the way Kynntana did.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Wow, where to start? Is this the must-do-before-TransPac list or the it-shur-would-look-purdy-to-do-that list? For the former, it includes installing the SSB that I bought from Doug off Foxfyre, upgrade to a bigger alternator, install solar panels, add a couple of sailing displays, add more handholds, rebed all port lights and hatches, and install a couple more winches. I ripped out the headliner last year and have been thinking about this one, too. Will probably paint white as I like having access to the through bolts, and may also install a strip of LEDs at the wood interface to bring more light into the boat because I liveaboard, but not sure if that might turn it into the Good Ship Lollipop....
    Whatchoo' need more winches for?

BTW, do you have an anchor windlass?

Solar panel installation isn't too bad, just takes time, like everything else.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Whatchoo' need more winches for?

BTW, do you have an anchor windlass?

Solar panel installation isn't too bad, just takes time, like everything else.

Hey Alan, the winches are for that far-off time in the future when I quit being a wimp and learn to fly the spinnaker that I don't yet have. I do have an anchor windlass, which is connected to this big-a** anchor and 150' of chain on the bow for those rare times when I might actually need to anchor....at least it's all ready for Hanalei Bay. Solar panels, sigh. I really should see if I can get a new PHRF for when I race on SF Bay with a self-steering vane and solar panels hanging off the boat

Jackie, the Good Ship Lollipop probably would have still fared better than I did during the LongPac!

Carliane, You might be able to use rope clutches in lieu of installing winches. Takes less room and less moolah.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has zero spinnaker experience! My major todo is sea time! I missed doing the New England Solo/Twin race which was going to be my first solo race, had trailer/keel winch/vhf issues (I have lots of issues). Besides sea time I need the following

1) Replace one upper shroud and forestay
    2) Install five rope clutches
    3) Buy and install AIS transponder
    4) Figure out what to do about an e-rudder
    5) Install second battery
    6) Install solar panel and probably need a second one. The one I have is 90 watts
    7) Buy a new mainsail, current one is older and probably not a good enough for a passage like the SHTP
    8) Storm jib
    9) layout where things need to be for the trip
    10) Finish Kiwi grip of deck.

Stuff I've got accomplished
    1) All new standing and running rigging. Yes I said I need to replace one upper shroud and forestay, I somehow got a kink in the shroud after a road trip with the boat and the forestay needs to be shortened a few inches.
    2) Installed all new deck hardware including primary winches, cam-cleats and one rope clutch.
    3) Move electrical panel to new spot higher up and easier to work on.
    4) Removed all household electrical wiring previous owner put in.
    5) Replace running and steaming light with LED
    6) Installed new VHF with AIS and antenna
    7) Fixed issues with retractable keel
    8) Installed Edwina, the new ST2000 auto-pilot
    9) Had all jibs inspected and converted to hank-on. When replacing the forestay the 1st time the roller furling was found to be missing parts
    10) Learned how to raise/lower mast alone

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    4) Removed all household electrical wiring previous owner put in.
    Now what did you go and do that for?

That stuff is 'da BOMB!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Hey Alan, the winches are for that far-off time in the future when I quit being a wimp and learn to fly the spinnaker that I don't yet have. I do have an anchor windlass, which is connected to this big-a** anchor and 150' of chain on the bow for those rare times when I might actually need to anchor....at least it's all ready for Hanalei Bay. Solar panels, sigh. I really should see if I can get a new PHRF for when I race on SF Bay with a self-steering vane and solar panels hanging off the boat

Jackie, the Good Ship Lollipop probably would have still fared better than I did during the LongPac!
    mmmeeeehhhh.... uuuummm... **here's where you listen to whiny, equivocating noises**

I dunno, you made a pretty convincing argument about "no spinnaker" while we were talking at the WestPoint regatta. Your boat is not REALLY set up for one, and if you DID have one, it would be weensy. It's a Freedom, let it be a Freedom.

Big heavy boats need big anchors and windlasses. So, that you have one, is good. When you get to Hanalei you will actually stay in one place, mostly. Meanwhile when I get there with my 22 pound Danforth, I'll be waterskiing all over the anchorage, and when it's time to pull it up, hand over hand after being in there for a week and 60 squalls, it's gonna be ugly, and I'm going to be very tired. You, on the other hand, will still have an intact manicure. ("hand"..."Manicure"..see what I did, there?)

Your nice, big boat is going to be very happy with a Monitor windvane. Your bank account won't be, but the boats gonna love it. Your solar panels will power the autopilot, a bit, but I bet mostly the SSB and your microwave. (joking!)

I mean...

Not sure this is worth it. "Let your Freedom be a Freedom". On the other hand...

That's a dinky little spinnaker and you can always hide it behind the main AND ...this is a biggie on a Hawaii race....you don't have a headstay to wrap it around.

I might consider getting what is essentially a 135% 1.5 ounce nylon headsail, really full-cut and putting that out on a whisker pole. You could even mount the whisker pole to a fitting on the deck, just cut the sail so that it has a really high clew.

Whisker poles are usually set up like this, right?

But does put a stress point on the mast. stress from a whisker pole is a lot less than stress from a spinnaker and pole, but it IS stress. However, there is no law that says you must mount the inner end of your whisker pole on the mast. A strong fitting on deck, say on the cabintop a foot in front of the mast is just fine. As long as the clew of the "headsail"...."running sail" is high enough, all should be fine.
    Last edited by AlanH; 08-09-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Hello,
    This is my first time posting here.
    My project, new auto pilot and reefing. I am still debating slab or single line reefing. Single line looks easier but even singlehanded working at the forward is still not that bad if I was prepared. For slab, hooks at gooseneck were removed. Thinking how install a hook and about single line main has roped luff, so maybe friction may issue. Can't decide,,,,