Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drakes Bay Over All Results

Default Anchoring under the stars

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I saw this bendy rig out in the Slot today:

Attachment 2654Attachment 2655
    The Freedom 38 is a fine vessel and it's comforting to have her nearby with all that nice equipment like AIS transmitter and radar. In the last 3 races, we were nearby, crossed tacks or finished within 15 minutes of each other. I even got some help figuring out my anchoring situation from Kynntana Sat. night.

Francis Drake's moniker was "Draco" or Dragon given to him by the Spaniards, and it described my anchoring experience in the dark of night, gusty winds, no AP, spray on my glasses, salt in my eyes, lost head lamp, and twisted main sheet. To ease this stress, I asked Kynntana if she would play a game of fetch-the-fender on a line. After 10 unsuccessful attempts to nose behind Kynntana, I decided to preserve Kynntana's beautiful stainless stern ware. But, it hardened my resolve to try the "hail Mary" anchoring technique. Just toss the darn thing over at my slowest steerage speed of 3 knots and pray this refrain...“Who ya tryin' ta mess with ese?… Don’t you know I'm LOCO?” (I prefer the Richard Cheese version).

I was whipped around like a dog on leash and my large steel Danforth bit like Pit Bull. It held all night and would not let me go until past my start time. I will take that over dragging anchor or drifting aground which did happen to others.

Photo taken by Chad P.Name:  Drakes Bay Archimedes.jpeg
Views: 676
Size:  103.9 KB on "Irish Blessing" J/24 who was at Pt. Bonita land. #4 jib borrowed from George L. on "TAZ" Express 27.

JB
    Last edited by Submarino; 08-20-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Wonderful photo for remembering your difficult experience. Singlehander. Brave Man. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
    The Freedom 38 is a fine vessel and it's comforting to have her nearby with all that nice equipment like AIS transmitter and radar.
    Ha, deceptively comforting. If only that stuff were working in the Drakes Bay race. I didn't have autopilot either. I'm glad your hail Mary toss of the anchor worked. The battery on my handheld had died, which is why I didn't hear what had happened.

This is Rags with her new #4. For when the wind blows just right. It was looking right at home in the slot on Saturday!

Name:  Rags2 8-19-17.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  2.24 MB

Name:  Rags 8-19-17.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  1.13 MB

Those are great - much better than my photos of K. You had a more stable platform

The little #4 will be nice to have. It has soft hanks and roller battens so I can use it on either stay, but it works best on the furler.

Last edited by BobJ; 08-21-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Those are great - much better than my photos of K. You had a more stable platform
    A few more hands are helpful, too!

Unlit vessels at anchorage in Drakes Bay!

During that dark, windy, anchorage, I almost hit an unlit trimaran. Luckily, I had only a main sail up though a jib only would have made maneuvering easier. Another sailor with jib only, didn't have enough time to tack away and caught his anchor rode. Both ended up on a rocky beach.

JB