Default Anchoring under the stars

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    I saw this bendy rig out in the Slot today:

Name:  K1.JPG
Views: 772
Size:  906.9 KBName:  K2.JPG
Views: 643
Size:  972.1 KB
    The Freedom 38 is a fine vessel and it's comforting to have her nearby with all that nice equipment like AIS transmitter and radar. In the last 3 races, we were nearby, crossed tacks or finished within 15 minutes of each other. I even got some help figuring out my anchoring situation from Kynntana Sat. night.

Francis Drake's moniker was "Draco" or Dragon given to him by the Spaniards, and it described my anchoring experience in the dark of night, gusty winds, no AP, spray on my glasses, salt in my eyes, lost head lamp, and twisted main sheet. To ease this stress, I asked Kynntana if she would play a game of fetch-the-fender on a line. After 10 unsuccessful attempts to nose behind Kynntana, I decided to preserve Kynntana's beautiful stainless stern ware. But, it hardened my resolve to try the "hail Mary" anchoring technique. Just toss the darn thing over at my slowest steerage speed of 3 knots and pray this refrain...“Who ya tryin' ta mess with ese?… Don’t you know I'm LOCO?” (I prefer the Richard Cheese version).

I was whipped around like a dog on leash and my large steel Danforth bit like Pit Bull. It held all night and would not let me go until past my start time. I will take that over dragging anchor or drifting aground which did happen to others.

Photo taken by Chad P.Name:  Drakes Bay Archimedes.jpeg
Views: 676
Size:  103.9 KB on "Irish Blessing" J/24 who was at Pt. Bonita land. #4 jib borrowed from George L. on "TAZ" Express 27.

JB
    Last edited by Submarino; 08-20-2017 at 12:12 AM.