Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepping for Half Moon Bay

Default Prepping for Half Moon Bay

I was sitting in Puffin's cockpit this afternoon, watching a video on splicing dynema double braid when a black J motored past and yelled "COMING TO HALF MOON BAY?"

I would like to but there are a few more things I need to check off on the requirements list.

What is the best way to comply with the "securing the hatch board" requirements. Do you attach a lanyard?

Where do you buy SOLAS Flares? Every time I go to Svendson's they are just out. They have parachute flares. I bought a couple of those right before I noticed they were removed from the requirements list.

I need to attach a tube to hold the top end of my man overboard pole on the back stay. I'm not quite sure how to get up there. Puffin has a radar dome mounted on the back stay which adds the the challenge. I'm thinking I attach a line around the back stay to a boson's chair and also attach the main halyard and shimy up up the back stay while a pal takes up slack in the halyard. Any tips you might have would be appreciated.

Chris

Rags is dark blue but who's counting?

Yep on the lanyard.

I buy Solas flares at "our favorite retail store" (West Marine). But if all you're doing right now is the HMB race you can borrow some - I probably have enough to make two sets.

If you have the typical Forespar fiberglass MOB pole, they make a little Sunbrella tube that attaches to the backstay with velcro. You roll up the MOB flag, stick it in the Sunbrella tube and push it up the backstay (photo attached). I replaced all that with a "SOS Danbuoy" that meets the requirement and is more compact than the old pole. But in the meantime I'm pretty sure I have a spare Sunbrella tube. Let me know if you want me to look. Edit: I'll bet your radar dome is an issue. You have a big boat - can you leave the pole horizontal on deck or attach it to the lifelines?

Name:  Ragtime11OYRA.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  1.31 MB

Photo by H2oShots
    Last edited by BobJ; 09-05-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Thanks Bob.

That blue is awfully dark.

I'm happy to buy flares. With any luck this will be just one on many offshore adventures. When I took the Safety a Sea class a few months ago, the instructor, Ashley Perrin, said there was a place in the city that supplied commercial fishermen and had great prices on things like flares. I regret I didn't get the name. But I suppose I could go to West Marine. For most things I try to avoid their outrageous prices.

SOS Dan Buoys sound great but pricy. I have all the other stuff. I just need to mount it. Maybe it has to live on deck for this race.

Chris, Ashley was probably talking about the Wharf Store, 398 Jefferson St. near Fisherman's Wharf. An odd place: most of the store is filled with tourist schlock, but walk through to the back and it's a decent chandlery. I updated my flares there a year or two ago.

Okay, let me know if you need something (PM here or email BobsailsSF at Yahoo). I'll be back in Pt. Richmond on Friday prepping for the final OYRA race.

By ordering the flares through WM you can get the newest dates (talk to Jason at the Richmond store). Also check the wording in the reg's - I think the parachutes can still count in the total even though they're not specifically required now.

That is a beautiful shot Bob !!

Name:  Ragtime11OYRA.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  1.31 MB

Photo by H2oShots[/QUOTE]

It was such a good photo I had to buy it, and it was my desktop shot for awhile. Erik Simonson was up on the bridge when the OYRA fleet came back in (Duxship Race I think).

I raced OYRA with crew that season (2011) - Rich Pipkin and Mary McGrath - and I did all the SSS races solo. It was a busy year!

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    ...they make a little Sunbrella tube that attaches to the backstay with velcro. You roll up the MOB flag, stick it in the Sunbrella tube and push it up the backstay (photo attached).
    Does the sunbrella tube get stuck in position on the backstay -- and if so, by choice? Or does it just slide back down the pole is removed?
    I'm in the same predicament as Puffin. I was going to cable tie a short length of PVC onto the backstay as high as I could reach without using a bosun, but I like this canvas tube idea better -- and my sewing machine is overdue for a one-way cursing match (mostly the damn tensioner. See, I'm starting already!).

It kinda slid back down after you removed the pole but it usually needed help with a boat hook. This all got harder after I added the SSB insulator on the backstay.

I'll add: As a singlehander, I tried to devise a system to launch the MOB pole from the water if I fell off, but I was never successful. However I decided I could discuss my location with myself while I watched the boat sail away on autopilot.

Wyliecats don't need no stinkin' backstays! And I certainly don't want anything sticking up for the 50' of mainsheet to whip off during a wild jibe. So, I lay the pole on the side deck with the Sunbrella (they like the copyright name in caps - just like Frisbee) cuff attached to rail up near where the shrouds would be - if I had them. The butt end is strapped to a stanchion base with a Velcro (caps again!) strip. I hook the pole, the light, and the horseshoe together and can manage to get the whole outfit over the side in less than 30 seconds. Of course if Bob & I were sailing parallel and went overboard at the same time, we'd both watch our boats sail off. I might even hold his hand as I waved "Goodbye" with the other. Maybe.