Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HMB Race

Default HMB Race

Are any of you anchoring off the club? Just wondering if we will be able to get in for dinner. I won't have a dingy. The SIs indicate there's a launch service. I've never seen one, but I've never looked for one either. I'm usually swilling a beer in the cockpit listening to the most fantastic sounding forghorn in the frikking world ( well, fantastic if you are in the harbor safe and sound and two beers down). But I digress, I can't make the Skippers meet so any info appreciated.

Your boat only draws 4.5 ft. You should have no trouble joining the raft-up on the club's float and taking the electric ferry to shore.

Since Rags is INOP, Dave Morris will be there early to anchor the whole works. He said...

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Your boat only draws 4.5 ft. You should have no trouble joining the raft-up on the club's float and taking the electric ferry to shore.

Since Rags is INOP, Dave Morris will be there early to anchor the whole works. He said...
    Thank you Bob. Sounds easy peasy.

Following up on this from the meeting last night -
    Dave Morris confirmed [via George Lithcott] that he will be there to catch boats and organize the raft up.

something to be aware of: in past years to maximize dock space on the club float, it's often been best to moor med-style, eg stern to the dock with a few boats setting anchors to stabilize the mass of boats and float.
    up to Dave how he wants to roll, just so you're not surprised.

ALSO, radio channels -
    the race committee will be on 72.
    HMBYC operates on 69, which is where you will want to call if rafting up and need directions / instructions.
    HMB Harbormaster operates on 74; that's who to call if you want a slip at the marina.

DH

At the start of the Farallones race, in that dense fog, my third Nexus 7 tablet died. Right over there near the Cliff House and its many big rocks, which I couldn't see because, did I mention? It was foggy. I dropped my first Nexus in the cockpit and the second one slid from one bench to the other with a loud CRACK. Nexus' screens are glass. My third Nexus held its battery charge until ... I needed it. Out there.

Even though I had my handheld Garmin GPSMap 78, which is a splendid contraption, that day I needed a chartplotter to make a more refined decision about how to maneuver between Mile Rock and the shipping channel. So I knew this day would come, the day when I would have to [cringe] pay for a new tablet.

So I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite ($84 on sale at Best Buy) and a child proof case on ebay [$6.99 free shipping]. So here we go again with the splendid MX Mariner chartplotter ($6.99 purchased years ago which still downloads onto anything I buy). MX Mariner is the appropriate tool for me, because it only does a few things, but it does those really well. Perfect for the child like sailor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So now I'm interested in this boat Sweet Pea, sailed by Jan Hirsch. Who is this person? This race was full of sleds and he beat a lot of 'em in an Islander 30-2 with ratty sails. This guy must be a good sailor. I looked at his results over the past races, in which he sailed doublehanded. He seems to do mo betta singlehanded. Maybe his crew distracts him? That little boat points well, and he surely went the right way last Saturday. I'm keeping my eye on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    So now I'm interested in this boat Sweet Pea, sailed by Jan Hirsch. Who is this person? This race was full of sleds and he beat a lot of 'em in an Islander 30-2 with ratty sails. This guy must be a good sailor. I looked at his results over the past races, in which he sailed doublehanded. He seems to do mo betta singlehanded. Maybe his crew distracts him? That little boat points well, and he surely went the right way last Saturday. I'm keeping my eye on him.
    For some reason, I thought this boat was Jan Brewer's. I think I really confused Rick. So who is Jan Hirsch?

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    So who is Jan Hirsch?
    The guy on Sweet Pea :-)

Default Sweet Pea

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    The guy on Sweet Pea :-)
    That 's it !

Thanks for the compliments- I will enjoy it before Sweet Pea and I regress back to the mean....

Both me and my crew learned quite a bit over a great and active season, and second time to HMB is easier than first time, even alone. I was really thankful for the awesome folks who sailed with me in the SSS, OYRA and SYC races and hope to continue to do some, but not all races single handed!

My main is two years old, by the way, the offshore WARP genoa about a year, and Joe from leading edge sails did a great job making these and refurbishing the lighter tape drive genoa that I use for lighter winds. I guess my foresails are sometimes a bit dirty from changing them on the dock in a hurry

And of course, the "I" boats do sail well to their rating, even the -in my view- very underrated Islander 30-2. The previous owners raced Sweet Pea very successfully in the South Bay, and she held up to coastal racing quite well this year.

I really wanted to make it to the Skipper's meeting in HMB and try to go to at least some of the meetings in IYC, even though it is a bit out of the way for me.

Hope to see you guys on the water!

Cheers

Jan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hijan1 View Post
    My main is two years old, by the way, the offshore WARP genoa about a year, and Joe from leading edge sails did a great job making these and refurbishing the lighter tape drive genoa that I use for lighter winds. I guess my foresails are sometimes a bit dirty from changing them on the dock in a hurry
    Cheers Jan
    Oh dear! I apologize! If I could re-write that I would use the word "ravishing", not "ratty". Tacky of me. Sorry. I was particularly impressed by the confidence you showed starting on port tack IN FRONT OF the Mothership/Galaxsea and behind Dura Mater, both starting on starboard tack at the pin!