Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Seminars

Default 2018 Seminars

The Kahuna wants some movement on preparation of seminars for This Thing we call The Race. What would you like to see in the way of topics addressed? And yes, we will be having a hands-on anchoring seminar. What will that look like? Well, think about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Being a newbie there's plenty to learn but I'd love to see the topic of weather, navigation and weather routing addressed, with an end to end real life exercise, using what ever solutions each participant will be using (e.g. sat, laptop).
    Which weather data do you need? How to get it? How to read and interpret it? How to use it to your advantage based on the course and your boat's specifics? How to reassess based on deck observations? I'm sure I'm missing plenty ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamottep View Post
    Being a newbie there's plenty to learn but I'd love to see the topic of weather, navigation and weather routing addressed, with an end to end real life exercise, using what ever solutions each participant will be using (e.g. sat, laptop).
    Which weather data do you need? How to get it? How to read and interpret it? How to use it to your advantage based on the course and your boat's specifics? How to reassess based on deck observations? I'm sure I'm missing plenty ...
    Okay. Duly noted and on the list of topics.

Tentative Seminar Topics and Timeline, dates and possibly more than one venue TBD. Chatter encouraged.

1. Emergency Rudders and Self-Steering
    2. Power Needs & Management
    3. Rigging & Sails
    4. Communications at Sea - **this will include a discussion of weather data downloads
    5. Return Trip and Shipping Logistics
    6. Cruise In - The Arrival & Kauai Logistics [see above]
    7. Provisioning & Medical Considerations
    8. Weather routing & Race Strategy
    9. pre-departure BBQ/ Pot Luck / Crate pack & shipping

Painting of Wildflower by Ruth Petroka
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 09-26-2017 at 09:26 PM.

For people like me who cannot attend in person, can these seminars be captured on video and distributed?

Hi Sean -
    This has been done in the past, though the quality and follow through has been spotty at best.
    Since digital media production is in my professional wheelhouse, I'll go out on a limb and commit to making this happen.
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Hi Sean -
    This has been done in the past, though the quality and follow through has been spotty at best.
    Since digital media production is in my professional wheelhouse, I'll go out on a limb and commit to making this happen.
    DH
    Wow! That is great news. I'm hoping to attend at least a couple of the seminars in person, but this will be a big help to all of us outside the Bay area. Thank you, Dave. Very generous of you.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

How about a Seminar on "Wine Selection for the 2018 SHTP: What's in Your Bilge?"?

Not sure about other races but I'm taking a Macallan 18 for the 1/2 way party and the finish line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    How about a Seminar on "Wine Selection for the 2018 SHTP: What's in Your Bilge?"?
    Is it true that you plan to abandon the race committee in order to sail the Caribbean? What a skewed sense of pleasure you have.