Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Seminars

Hi Jackie. I was really trying for 2018 but finances are probably going to prohibit it this time around. Im hoping for 2020 instead. I want to be there at he 2018 finish though to celebrate everyone!!!!
    -Margie Woods
    "Cassiopeia", Hanse 371
    www.sailinghaunani.com
    mwbfoto@gmail.com

Jackie,
    I sent you a PM.

Preliminary Schedule for Seminars is attached here. All except the Cruise-In will be held at Island Yacht Club, where the management won't throw us out when our presentations run over. Thank goodness.

The dates in April and May may conflict with skippers' meetings for our Round the Rocks and Farallones races (thank you for that reminder, Kristen), so keep that in mind. Why, you might ask, is this not posted on the Transpac 2018 section? Well, because our Tech Czar, David Nabors is attempting to segue out of his role with a little dignity. He's done a wonderful job for the SSS for years now, but David sold Temerity after completing the 2016 Transpac. He no longer has a sailboat, and is now building his own boat in his workspace at home.

Point being: Is anyone interested in being the new SSS Tech Czar? Or how about a Tech Vice President? Some of the status, none of the harassment claims? Let us know. In the meantime, find attached:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not a SSS member but in the IT industry. What does a Tech Czar do? Maybe I can help.

What did David do, you mean? Well, he's very smart and knowledgeable and a really good sailor, too. He did anything we needed with aplomb. He would also pay for anything Dura Mater needed: new self-tailing winches, a Pelagic and slip fees for months at a time. No. Really that last sentence is a lie/fake news.

He was an SSS member and also on the Board. He came all the way up to Alameda from Mountain View through traffic after work to SSS meetings and bought his own beer. He set up Word Press several times for the Transpac Races and problem solved regarding this site. David knows everything. We miss him already.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    I'm not a SSS member but in the IT industry. What does a Tech Czar do? Maybe I can help.
    Sean, I'd say you're over-qualified and that we'd absolutely love to have your help! I'm sure someone could also send you Dave Nabor's # if you'd like to chat with him about the duties. Seems we had a Facebook page a while back that has since gone dark. Maybe someone would also be willing to post on there from time to time? At the very least, it would be nice to send a post when there's a meeting or some other event.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    What did David do, you mean? Well, he's very smart and knowledgeable and a really good sailor, too. He did anything we needed with aplomb. He would also pay for anything Dura Mater needed: new self-tailing winches, a Pelagic and slip fees for months at a time. No. Really that last sentence is a lie/fake news.

He was an SSS member and also on the Board. He came all the way up to Alameda from Mountain View through traffic after work to SSS meetings and bought his own beer. He set up Word Press several times for the Transpac Races and problem solved regarding this site. David knows everything. We miss him already.
    I'm not dead yet. Still on the board, still doing the job. It is true the Board is seeking a replacement Secretary/Web Manager with possibly an enhanced social media outreach role. This person should be a dues-paying member of the club at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Can we get a show of hands, please? Our sponsors are clamoring for obvious reasons for why they should dedicate their vast sums of money. You, Shannon of the Blue Fins, are you in? In other words, Is Fins In? And how about Bad Bunny? AZ Sailor, what is your boat's name? I have the naked swimmer on my list, too, no need to expose yourself further just now. Lee on Morningstar? PJ, he of the steep but obviously successful learning curve, and our local girl, Carliane. Please advise because our advertising money hangs in the balance.
    I am going. I got my return crew lined up, dodger is restitched, erud installed and liferaft certified. Going to cut my time to Kauai by 48 hours. Life is good. Plan on sailing back but not singlehanded. Last time the delivery crew invented a new cocktail which consisted of surplus peach juice and whatever booze was in the cabinet, no ice. Its called the "Pacific High". That's what I'm talking about.

Default First Seminar Nov. 15th

(I know I'm spamming the board today but somebody's gotta do it.)

Springing off that encouraging post from Mike, I'll post about the upcoming first SHTP seminar. It's November 15th at the Island Yacht Club, at 1930.

Awhile back, the lemon bread gal asked if I would reprise a seminar we did maybe ten years ago. For the opening SHTP seminar in 2007 (2009?) we set up long tables and laid out most of the equipment required for the race. We went through the Race Requirements and talked a bit about each item - sort of a mock equipment inspection. This got skippers thinking and asking about what they still needed to reach the starting line, and also let them see what stuff actually looks like. (One skipper asked where the cash register was so he could just get it over with!) The famous belt buckle was on display, along with memorabilia from past SHTP's.

We'll try to get through the requirements efficiently because we're planning to camp out on e-steering options for the second part of the evening. E-steering is the largest single project for most skippers and requires an early start to have time to complete and test your system.

Finally, but first on the program, we'll introduce everyone and let skippers tell about their boats, why they're doing the race and whatever else they want us to know about them.

>>> It would be great to have as many past, present and aspiring SHTP skippers present as possible that night, so you can meet each other and feel part of the fraternity/sorority that is the SHTP.

Besides putting this 11/15 seminar on your calendar, now would be a good time to do as Mike just did and state your intentions regarding 2018 or a future SHTP. This would help me plan the content based on types of boats, etc.

Comments/questions?

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    (I know I'm spamming the board today but somebody's gotta do it.)
    I had to look it up because I thought it was "a canned meat product made mainly from ham". Thank you very much, Bob. Your post is neither irrelevant nor inappropriate. So, how about it? The Seminar Series will be posted in Latitude soon (though too late for November). Who is planning to come to the first seminar? There will be an open bar, so we need to order enough liquor for everybody, so please let us know asap.

That last sentence was a lie/fake news.

Post here, please, or if you want it to be a secret, email me @ Jacqueline.Philpott@gmail.com

Send me a photo of you and your boat. I'll post it here and we'll be able to get to know you. Thanks