Thread: Ideas for Kauai students and NYC youth sailors

Default Ideas for Kauai students and NYC youth sailors

Last year at the SHTP awards dinner at the Nawiliwilli Yacht Club, I was speaking with the Commodore about next year's race. He was telling me how the youth sailors had been super excited about the singlehanded race and had been following some of them on the tracker. I thought it would be a great idea to start pulling them into our world early and maybe see if their teachers might be interested in developing a lesson as part of their science curriculum that might include the racers such as ocean currents, celestial navigation, weather and climate, etc. Would anyone like to help me in this? I don't know how receptive the school would be to incorporate some new approach in their studies but the yacht club seemed excited to do more with their sailors. Ideas/thoughts/suggestions from any others would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Gamayun; 09-30-2017 at 08:11 AM.

How about some sort of day sail on some of the boats after the finish? Get onboard the boat they were following for the race.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRhone View Post
    How about some sort of day sail on some of the boats after the finish? Get onboard the boat they were following for the race.
    I'm sure they would love this. I think the YC has their racing on Wednesday night. Maybe some of us could head up there, too, before our departures.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamayun View Post
    Would anyone like to help me in this?
    Great idea, I'd love to help. If you haven't done so yet, I'd be happy to contact the NYC commodore and see if anyone at the club can help connect us with high school science teachers. It would be fun to do a mini version of what Rich Wilson did in the Vendee Globe, interacting with students during the race -- albeit by SSB/email rather than the live video set up he had.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32

Lee, that would be great! Please contact the NYC commodore. It might be a different person than I had spoke with, but let him/her know that this idea was met with a lot of interest last year. The youth sailors at the awards dinner were really excited by all the SSS sailors and their exploits. Please let me know what they say and I will get on this to help. I'm a biologist so can offer ideas on some lesson plans. It would be super exciting to get to know the group there before we arrive.

Feel free to send me a PM and I'll send you my email and phone contact info.

PM sent.
    Lee
    s/v Morning Star
    Valiant 32