Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Domino is For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by BobJ View Post
    Aha! An Olson 29.
    Nina? Who wouldn't want Nina? Recall what Skip wrote about her and her skipper last year:

"Who are those guys?" says Butch to Sundance.

"Who is that guy??" says sleddog.

Robert MacDonald, aboard his Olson-29 NINA ("little girl"), is not listed in the 2016 SHTP Program.

This afternoon I was privileged to watch probably the most stirring and photogenic finish of a SHTP in many a year.

At my 200 foot cliffside elevation, I first spotted NINA inshore, up by Kilauea Point, 5 miles east of Hanalei. Through the binos I could see NINA, on port pole, was running fast in the 15-25 knot trades. I phoned Jackie down at Race headquarters in Hanalei to alert to NINA's approach. VHF radio reception in NINA's direction is notably unreliable.

NINA, coming down the beach, 1/2 mile offshore, was getting bigger real fast. In less than 10 minutes I could see NINA clearly, flying her white, black, and pink spinny.

5 minutes later I could see NINA's spinny pole was well forward, main boom skimming the wave tops, the bow wave as high as the hull, as Robert carried his spinny on the hairy edge of a round-up.

With NINA a mile off, my heart began racing. As dark gusts off the cliffs would catspaw downward onto the water, NINA would heel to leeward, the luff of the spinnaker quivering, the boat on the brink of control. Masterfully, Robert would bear off, never once losing it.

NINA, aligned with the white horses of the tradewind swells, would dip her bow in a curtsy, tip of the bow at water level. Then, whoosh, off she'd go down the wave, the forefoot fully clear back to the mast, the bow wave amidships at windward lifeline height.

iiii doggies.

NINA kept coming. She crossed the Hanalei Finish about 1317 hours HST at full pelt, spinnaker still on edge. Looking down at her stern wake as she blew by, I'm guessing NINA was averaging 10, with bursts to 14-16 as she'd accelerate down the ocean wave.

It appeared from a distance that Robert was having such a memorable ride, he kept right on going past the finish, towards Bali Hai in the distance
    At the conclusion of a most inspiring demonstration of sailing virtuosity and helmsmanship, Robert blew the afterguy, the spinny came smartly down to leeward, and NINA turned to port to enter Hanalei Bay.

Aloha, Robert and NINA. Mahalo for the memories!

"Who are those guys??" indeed.

It's Robert and NINA.

Last edited by sleddog; 07-16-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Philpott; 10-08-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Aha! indeed.
    'Tis an Olson 29, though not NINA...
    I have to do the research on hull #13, but I am buying it from Steve Seal.

Huzzah - Another SC boat to restore!

DH

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    'Tis an Olson 29, though not NINA... I have to do the research on hull #13, but I am buying it from Steve Seal. Huzzah - Another SC boat to restore! DH
    How exciting. 29-FT OLSON, 1986 Santa Cruz classic, one of 27 built. Many upgrades including new deep rudder, standing rigging, winches, rope clutches. All rigging led aft, including reefing. New Raymarine speed/depth. 5hp Tohatsu. Full race/cruise sails.

You are our Commodore. Of course this interests us. hahaha. And if you are racing again, it really ups the game.

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

Dave, what is the reasoning behind trading one 30' SC-built vintage ULDB for a different 30' SC-built vintage ULDB?

27 sec/mile

pogen is offline Sailing canoe "Kūʻaupaʻa"

27 sec/mile
    Wow, not a good endorsement for prospective buyers of Domino.

It is if you currently own a Cal 20. Besides, he DID win the race.

It is if you currently own a Cal 20. Besides, he DID win the race.
    So he won the race and now he'll have a 27 second per mile advantage as well? Sounds formidable. But can he count on a hurricane to smack him along this time? Only time will tell.

uh, I think the purpose of the handy cap is to give the 27 seconds back.
    if you pay close attention, and arguably one should, you will see that Domino actually gains another 10seconds per the SHTP rules.

Horses for courses.... Domino sails high averages for long periods comfortably and quickly.
    Nothing wrong with that, but I don't sail to HI every day.
    To Bob's (I think) original point, yes, I'm excited about a faster all-around boat.

Beyond that, to David's original question, I enjoy the re-commissioning process and rethinking things.
    consider me a repeat offender in that regard...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    uh, I think the purpose of the handy cap is to give the 27 seconds back.
    if you pay close attention, and arguably one should, you will see that Domino actually gains another 10seconds per the SHTP
    Oh. Duh.