Thread: Trailer for SH Transpac Shipment Back

Default Trailer for SH Transpac Shipment Back

My job list ahead of the June 22 (23?) 2018 SHTP start date is long and generally time-consuming and/or expensive (usually and). As I plan to ship my boat back from HI, one item on this extensive list that is beginning to cause me concern is finding a suitable trailer for a 30', 7500 lb, 5.5' draft sailboat. I have been monitoring L38 and Craigslist for a while without any success. In the process I have been reluctantly introduced to the rather fertile world of small-craft trailers, often shockingly expensive, but sadly none suitable for my purpose.

So... veterans of this particular rodeo, any advice you can offer is more than welcome. Please tell me there is a stash of sailboat trailers in a secret warehouse somewhere with owners dying to rent me their trailer for two months. Absent that, any tips on finding a suitable trailer, for rent or sale, preferably in the area?

As always, advice appreciated from those who have been through this before.

I was going to suggest looking for a Hobie 33 trailer but your weight is more than the trailer is rated for.

One crazy idea - your numbers are close to a Tartan Ten, you might check the classifieds on the class website: http://tten.com/ or see if there is one you can borrow from the Great Lakes region while the boats are off their trailers in the spring & summer next year?

Default Excellent Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    One crazy idea - your numbers are close to a Tartan Ten, you might check the classifieds on the class website: http://tten.com/ or see if there is one you can borrow from the Great Lakes region while the boats are off their trailers in the spring & summer next year?
    I think this is an excellent idea. The Great Lakes might be a bit far, but there are closer sailing areas where everyone hauls out for the winter (Lake Tahoe?) and the trailers sit unused all summer. I will put out some feelers and see what comes up.

Another possibility is to see if any of the SSS sailors shipping back have a trailer that works. They ship home, splash their boat and turn the trailer around and you use it for your boat. I had started down this path before I decided to have a delivery crew return my boat. The logistics are a bit more complicated because you have to ensure you can get the same shipping deal as the first round of returnees but it looked like it was doable last year before I decided to go with a delivery crew. The crane guy in Nawiliwili is a super guy and had offered to come back down to haul my boat for the same price he was charging everyone else even though I would be the lone haulout two months after everyone else was out of there.

Second idea, post a CL ad asking to rent a suitable trailer for a couple of months. There seem to be a reasonable number of empties around, I guess owners want to hold on to them for whatever reason but may be able to temporarily do without, especially if they can make a few bucks in the bargain. I would do LA, San Diego and SF Bay Areas. You might get lucky.
    Last edited by mike cunningham; 10-16-2017 at 05:34 PM.

I have a trailer that has been used to ship a Newport 30 back from the PacCup three times that I am selling. Was preparing to post here when I saw your message. I have several photos available, can't seem to get them to post here
    Name:  2011-04-03_12-24-25_6.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  113.2 KB
    Flat bed trailer with erector set steel supports. Can be configured to haul a wide variety of loads and materials. Trailer comes with all steel uprights, cross beams, chains and binders and pads we used to haul boats. Can also be used as a flat bed. Overall length is 32 feet, deck is 16 feet long by 6 feet wide. Tires are load range E. Brand new tires. Hitch size 2 5/16”. Surge brakes. Trailer has been to Hawaii and back three times, you can make it four. $2000.00 Boat pictured is not included.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by mike cunningham View Post
    Second idea, post a CL ad asking to rent a suitable trailer for a couple of months. There seem to be a reasonable number of empties around, I guess owners want to hold on to them for whatever reason but may be able to temporarily do without, especially if they can make a few bucks in the bargain.
    Obexers Marina on the West Shore of Tahoe. Obexers has a yard across the street from the marina where sailors store their trailers all summer. And I remember talking to someone in the SSS who belongs to the South Lake Tahoe Yacht Club. That's another option. Who is it? I forget. Skip will know.

Just browsing craigslist, found this,

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/boa...343955076.html

If you can find a solid, dual-axle powerboat trailer, a welder can turn that into a sailboat trailer for not TOO many boat bucks.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Tom,

Check your PMs.

Mike