Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help A "Newbie" Get his Bearings

Pearson Vanguard = NorCal phrf 222
    Finally! Someone else at the end of the pack when the faster boats start first.

Welcome, lbrindze!!! You've gotten some very good advice so far -- up until the irreverent started chiming in -- but that's the way we roll You will soon find out what an amazing group of sailors are in the SSS, and just down-right nice people. I started single-handing 4 years ago with the Vallejo 1-2, which is coming up this weekend. That's the last race of 2018. Jackie (Dura Mater) has been known to rally a group of us to sail somewhere for lunch during the week. That's good, if you can easily skip out on work. I'm sure we can create an impromptu race before the end of the year. Where's that Fastest Time Around Alcatraz trophy these days? I would suggest you go ahead and submit your PHRF application to YRA. They get super busy when everyone waits last minute to get that done in December just before Three Bridge Fiasco. As to the delivery, one of the SHTP vets sailed with me when I brought Kynntana up from San Diego. He perfectly called the weather forecasting - twice! (Seriously, these folks are amazing sailors) and we had an easy motor north in two hops. Post here again and I'm sure you'll get all sort of input about the weather; however, we did the trip in June. The winter storm season is going to be starting soon. All the best to you on the move!

Carliane
    s/v Kynntana (Freedom 38)
    Last edited by Gamayun; 10-15-2017 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philpott View Post
    Pearson Vanguard = NorCal phrf 222
    Finally! Someone else at the end of the pack when the faster boats start first.
    Wasn't Little Wing a Pearson, too? I think Firefoxx (Yamaha 33) is also rated around 180. Maybe Doug will chime in soon.

...Nothing wrong with racing a Pearson Vanguard.
    1968 Selmer Series 9 B-flat and A clarinets
    1962 Buesher "Aristocrat" tenor saxophone
    Piper One Design 24, Hull #35; "Alpha"

Pearson Vanguards raced as a One Design fleet on SF Bay in the 60's.